1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Truck207, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Truck207

Truck207 Member
    from Maine

I was wondering how the 454's are for engines? Any problems or down sides? What do they usually get for MPG (I know they are not great but just a rough idea)? How bad are the MPG compared to the 350 engine (is there much of a difference between the two)?

Thanks for any info!

2. crossboneracing

crossboneracing Senior Member

Great motor, little problems, gas mileage is a different story. I get around 8 towing a trailer and 4-5 plowing. More power than a 350 but a bit of a gas hog!

3. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

I get about 9mpg towing and about 12mpg empty on my 98 7.4L.

Wayne

4. Truck207

Truck207 Member
    from Maine

OK, thanks for the info. The guy said he usually gets 14 MPG but he said right now he is getting 10 because it needed a tune up. 70monte, what do you like better, your K3500 with the 454 or your K1500 with the 350? What does your 350 get for MPG? I can't decide if I want to get a truck with a 350 or the 454.

5. Brandon29

Brandon29 Senior Member

I love my 454 its not a vortec tho. Wish my 2000 had a 454 rather then the 350. It still pushes snow fine tho.

6. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

i know it will do a nice burnout, i cant tell you about plowing as i just got the truck.

7. Truck207

Truck207 Member
    from Maine

haha...ok, thats good to know! Goldpro, what do you get for MPG? Or have you not had it long enough to tell?

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

454 certainly not required for plowing, towing is a different story. What year is the truck?

9. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

bout the same as my v10 dodge when towing, 8-9ish. i will say,its endless power, doesnt even flinch towing my 18 foot landscape trailer loaded up with 3 mowers and full gear.

10. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

10 - 12mpg with any of our 3500HD's. It's hard to even tell a difference if we are towing or not, but its usually 9-10mpg.

11. Truck207

Truck207 Member
    from Maine

The truck is a 1998 Chevy K2500. Thanks for all the info!

12. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

I like the 454 for the power but the 350 does pretty well also. The 350 gets between 14-17mpg depending on city vs highway or towing vs no towing. The one thing I have not liked about the vortec 350 is that mine is on its fourth intake gasket counting the original one. I'm sure it will have to be replaced again since it doesn't have the most current version on it now. Other than that, its been a good engine.

Wayne

13. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

I have never done intakes more then once using metal/rubber felpro gaskets

14. Brandon29

Brandon29 Senior Member

Im on my second intake gasket. Seems to be holding up well I replaced when I bought it 2 years ago. Mine only has 76k on it tho.

15. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

The version I have on now is the plastic gasket with the metal inserts around the bolt holes. They didn't have the metal and rubber version out when I last had them replaced. I'm still running Dexcool in this truck and that might have contributed to how many times I've had to have mine replaced. I'm probably going to switch to the green stuff soon. My 98 K3500 had the green stuff in it when I bought it and it looks like its probably had the intake gaskets replaced before.

Wayne

16. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

The new dexcool was designed to prolong the life of the seals in the newer trucks. Most likely they won't last near as long if you run green. The seals for vehicles running dexcool are not the same as older ones, and they require the added lube and protection they get from the dexcool. The problems that surface from dexcool is usually it not being changed out like it should. Dexcool recommends every 5 years, I change and flush every 4. Its when guys leave it in past the 5 years it tends to break down and cause problems.

17. m.$terner

m.$terner Senior Member

that dex cool is crap.i have a 88 3500 with the 454. havent plowed with it yet, barely put 100 miles on it actually. the previous owner told me it gets around 7-10 mpg usually. what else you need to be aware of is the year, i believe the vortec 454 has the newer stlye trans which is a 4 speed, where as the non vortec 454's used the turbo 400 usually which is a 3 speed trans. not having overdrive can be a killer on gas, specially when your running on the highway or anywhere really where your getting up over 50 mph. plowing with a 350 and 454 probablly woont make much of a difference but thaving the torque of the 454 is reqally nice for towing, a lot less ware and tear on your truck

18. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

No Death-Cool in any of mine......

19. 70monte

70monte Senior Member

I just checked the Dexcool in my 98 1/2 ton and its starting to gel a little. It has not started doing the crusty red deposits yet. I'm going to flush the system tomorrow with the prestone 5 year, 150,000 mile green coolant that is compatable with all coolants. I will change it more often than that though.

After seeing what Dexcool has turned into on my 2004 Monte Carlo SS Supercharged, I switched over to the Prestone stuff in it. This car has the red crusty stuff everywhere. I can still see it inside the radiator cap on the radiator fins and this was after using prestone flush and flushing the radiator multiple times and the entire system two times. I can't even get the overflow tank clean because of this stuff. I would hate to see what the inside of the coolant passages look like on this engine.

Wayne