1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

454 using/burning some coolant

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by CK82, Jan 22, 2009.

1. CK82

CK82 Senior Member

My 95 Chevy 2500 with the 454 big block uses/burns a little coolant. Its not bad, every so often I have to put a half quart or so in. The resevior is nearly dry (especially when its really cold out) and as soon as it warms up the coolant level gets near the hot line where it should be. Should I be worried about this problem. I really do not want to spend the money on a head gasket at this point.

Thanks, Chris

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

leak ?

depends on wear it is going ,check for visible leak's, loose hose clamps ,bad hose's, radiator leak's .put a pressure tester on the radiator ,cold see if it leak's ,leave it on and warm it up to see if it builds up pressure past normal .could be a cold weather leak .just need to tighten up the hose's .:salute:

3. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

tymusicussmileyflag:gunsfiring:Get in kitchen and rattle those pots and pans, look kfor some black pepper and dump it in your rad after you take wild bills advice. If its still leaking externally youll smell the black pepper. However it works well to seal the system, still use theold Army trick with my machines!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

4. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

454s are one tough engine it will take a lil abuse

5. CK82

CK82 Senior Member

I havent seen any visible leaks as of now, so I am assuming it is burning it. I will have to look a little more thoroughly.