1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

454 Problems?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Truck207, Aug 29, 2009.

1. Truck207

Truck207 Member
    from Maine

I was wondering if there were any major problems with the 454 (7.4L)? The one I am looking at is in a 1998 Chevy 2500. Also what do they get for MPG? I know they are not great, but just a ball park figure would do.

Thanks.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Nothing really major or specific to them. Very reliable and dependable work horses. Most use some oil between changes (as most GM big blocks did) but no serious internal problems. Broken/cracked exhaust manifolds are about their biggest "common" issue but so are most GM engines in the last 10 years.

Average overall city/highway mileage will be around 10-12 MPG unloaded and 8-9 when loaded to the hilt. Specific truck options (axle ratio for example) and driving style won't affect it much...1-2 MPG or so max in either direction. But you will be happy with the low end torque and pulling ability.

3. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

i had the 7.4 in a 2500 it runs great. no major problems. 130K on it. only thing ive ever had to do was belts and oil changes. really no problems with the vehical.

4. Truck207

Truck207 Member
    from Maine

OK. Thanks for the info B&B and plowman4life!

5. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I've got one in a 98' extended cab chevy 4x4. Thought it was awsome when I first got it. Bottom line is this thing will eat your profits at the pump! All the MPG reports that have been posted are correct. Buy something smaller and keep your hard earned money.