1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

454 motor mounts

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Dave_Dean, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Dave_Dean

Dave_Dean Junior Member

I'm putting a 454 into an 83 Blazer that originally had a 305 then 350. The problem I'm having is the clam shell motor mounts when mounted to the motor will not line up with the holes in the frame. The place where they bolt up to the frame can be unbolted. My question is this, is the frame mount different for the big blocks? I can get the passenger side to line up and bolted in place but then the driver side holes are out of line by about an inch and a half. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I took the 260 out of my 81 cutlass and put in a BBC 396. I had to replace the frame mounts. Probably have to change your too.:waving:

3. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Try leaving the frame mounts on the frame and droppng the motr on em. All chevy v 8's(the normal years any who) frame mounts are the same except the 307 is an odd ball. A BBC will drop right in the place of a SBC. Make sure that your torque converter is in all the way. That can lead to problems lining stuff up and you can break stuff. Keep pushing it back and spinning it.

4. mrzulu

mrzulu Junior Member
    from florida

check on the year of the 454... i agree with rat... most V8's share mounts... except the year Chevy released the 454 S10 (S10 and Blazer have same basic chassis)... those engines have different frame mount placement to compensate for the longer 454 block... I can't remember what year that was... i am thinking mid to late 80's
    MZ

5. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

A big block s10 :eek: That would be nutty. Never seen a factory one.

I assume he is talking about a fullsize K5 blazer

6. Dave_Dean

Dave_Dean Junior Member

Got it figured out. The mounts (buckets) that are bolted to the block with three bolts were too big. They extended too far away from the block. When I first started the project I was unable to get a manufacture date for the motor and the guy didn't know what it came out of. I was attempting to utilize the engine mounts that came on the motor. I just used the ones off the 350 and it all fit together nicely. Just finished tidying up the engine bay and got everything hooked up today and will start to wire up the Hollet Pro-Jection kit tomorrow. Factory return line is too small so I will have to route another one :( The ECU looks like that is going to be a pain in my a$$ to wire up as well.

Thanks for all your help! DD