1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4500 or 450

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MnM, Oct 16, 2007.

1. MnM

MnM Senior Member

i would like everyones opinion about what truck to buy. I do irrigation and snow plowing, so a utility body is a must. I have narrowed it down to a chevy 4500 single cab with a 11 ft. utility body 2 wheel or a ford F-450 super cab 9 ft utility dually four wheel. I want the 4500 but not sure if the two wheel can hack it. I just feel like a 4500 will last so much longer then a 450 but am stumped about the 2 wheel drive thing. I live in central NJ and dont see alot of hills or mountains. I would love everyones opinion.
  2. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

Uhhh, how bout' a 4x4 4500 ? They make em' ! Go with a 4x4 at all cost...
  3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I thought you could get a 4500 in 4x4 or is it alot of $. With a ton or ton and a half of ballast I'm sure you would be alright in large lots.
  4. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I plow with either a 4x4 350 pu or a grain body 550, the 550 is also 4x4 but honestly I rarely engage it, It's used much more to safely travel than to push, a v box in the bed full will be plenty of ballast. Even having said that I would not buy a truck without 4 wheel drive. We have 11 trucks and several pieces of equipment on the road every storm, the only one 2wd is an international 4600, 5 yd vbox and a boss 10 ft plow. That gets chains.
  5. MnM

MnM Senior Member

i was thinking 4500 2 wheel cause I heard the 4x4 kills the fuel mileage. It will be used as a service truck also. I want this truck to last a really long time. that is why I think a true 45oo will last longer than a beefed up 450. Thanks so far and keep em' comin

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Why not buy the 4500 chev and leave it as a service vehicle only. Unless the box is fibreglass its going to rot out in no time. If you wan't it to last for a long time I wouldn't use it for snow. Use the savings of the 4x2 4500 vs the 4x4 model and puchase a smaller snow plow truck for winter use only.

Although a 2wd trck will push ok in the flats, you need the weight in the rear for traction. Long story short 4x4 is a valuable option, even if you only have to use it once in a while.