1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

450 rear rotors

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by dodgegmc1213, Jan 4, 2016.

1. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 PlowSite.com Addict

we need to replace the rotors on our 03 f450, problem is all the part stores are showing 10 hole rotors but we have 8 lugs. I know the rotor bolts to the hub, so is there a possibility it bolts with 10 studs and the wheels are only 8? the ford parts guy says its impossible to have a 450 8 lug.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Can you do a pic?
    Are the tires 19.5?

3. dodgegmc1213

yes 19.5 tires, we already replaced the front rotors and they were 8 hole.

FB_IMG_1430426635944.jpg

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

That's interesting. I'd show the parts guy that pic..

5. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

I could be wrong, but on your truck, you have an inboard mounted rotor. It is held onto the back side of the hub with ten bolts. You have to pull the axle and the hub off to replace the rotor.

6. dodgegmc1213

Thank you randall, that we know. So your saying the rotor is 10 hole even tho we have 8 lugs? Just wanna make sure we're buying the right parts

7. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

If you've given the VIN number to the Ford dealer (assuming since you said "Ford parts guy") then he's selling you the right stuff. I've never once been given wrong parts when I supplied the VIN.

8. flips87chevy

flips87chevy Member

Just changed the rear rotors on my 99 f450. It's what Randall said. And I have 8 lug 19.5 rims

9. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Hub bolts to rotor. It's right rotor

10. dodgegmc1213

Thanks guys

11. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Why not take it off and take the rotor with you to the parts store so you can match it up without buying the wrong one

12. dodgegmc1213

That's the way we probably will have to do it now. Just don't want to find out they don't have it or something and now we have a truck that can't move in the middle of the shop

13. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

You have done these before I take it? You will need a wheel seal also. That carrier I think uses synthetic gear oil. Just take the thing apart, the parts should be available with no problem.

14. dodgegmc1213

We have taken it apart before to replace seals but never did the rotors so we never paid attention to what they are. We are replacing the rotors, seals (of course) and the nuts that holds the hub on because one of them is bad. When my father called ford for the nuts since you can only get them from the dealer, he gave the guy the vin # and he clearly didn't know what he was doing because he couldn't find anything about this truck have those nuts even tho we gave him the vin #. Called another ford and he has them without asking for the vin, there damn expensive tho!

15. flips87chevy

flips87chevy Member

I called the local ford dealership looking for parts for the Dana 80 in my 450. I gave him the vin and he informed me that my truck came stock with 2.5 ton Rockwell axles. He was dead serious. Ended up getting parts from napa

16. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I think it's the right rotor.

Or left.

17. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

Might be the front or rear....

18. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Spare tire doesn't have one?