1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

45 Mph

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Joel B., Jan 9, 2003.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

How many of you really don't go over 45 MPH with your plows? Be honest. I think I would be run over if I only went 45 MPH on some of the freeways!

Thank you,

Joel B.

2. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

I have yet to see a plow go that slow unless it's posted or white out conditions.
    Um, yeah, sure, Just like it says in the manual. It would be wrong to go faster right? To make myself feel better on the Highway, I just pretend that I started an automotive conga (sp?) line, and it's all one big happy highway party.... :D

3. MLB

MLB Senior Member

right here

temp gauge starts climbing if I go any faster.

4. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

I think 80 is about my limit with the plow on.

5. edshipp19

edshipp19 Senior Member

i cruise 60-65 without the temp gauge moving at all

6. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

i cruise 65-70 mph no problem with the plow on. truck runs at the same temp. of course no way do i do that during a snowstorm, but when roads are dry i definately go over 45mph

7. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

What MDB said. Mike :waving:

8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I don't go over 45 mph (on purpose, anyway) with the 1/2 ton. At 50, the temp will start climbing. I have started using a trick I learned on here, though. I keep the blade closer to the ground and the truck doesn't heat up as much.

9. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Mick, I found on my old Chevy it would run cooler if the blade was angled instead of straight.

10. greenquestlawn

greenquestlawn Senior Member

yep I cruise at normal highway speeds unless its snowing real hard. The tem gauge does not move.

11. Sno

Sno Senior Member

Yep, knuckles get a bit white if I try anything over 80.

No temp problems.

I do slow it down in the snow, cant afford to loose it.

12. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

I always obey the "don't go over 45mph" rule. I have to.... the old truck won't go faster than 30.

13. SIMONE'S LAWNS SERVICE

SIMONE'S LAWNS SERVICE Member

I try to stay off of the major highways with my blade on, but when I do I don't have any problems keeping up with traffic-no temp. problems whatsoever-it must just depend on the truck.

14. KLMlawn

KLMlawn Member

Two things ...
    First, how many of you that are claiming no TEMP movement are running diesels? Diesels usually do not heat up, and if they do, they will actually run better and more efficiently.
    Second, I have a 351 "Windsor" with a C-6 Ford tranny (no overdrive) and 410 gears ... I am at 3000 RPM at about 62 MPH.
    If I do not keep my blade low and angled, I will and DO heat up quick!

15. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

My 03 Ram has no temp problems with the V blade up well past the speed limit. It has the Hemi gas motor.

16. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

mines a diesel.

17. greenquestlawn

greenquestlawn Senior Member

Mine is a gas 2000 f-250sd 5.4L

18. long0

long0 Senior Member

Chevy here - 8.1 with the Allison. The only temp increase I see when running down the highway is the tranny temp. It does not get overly hot, just warmer than with out the plow.

I try and keep it under 65, but sometimes find myself pushing over that.

Anybody that does not slow down when it is snowing is just asking for trouble.

Andy

19. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

Gas... oops, excuse me, I mean my truck is Gas Powered. *snif* Sorry about that guys...:eek:

20. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

Gas 2500 Ram.