1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

43,500 miles = Warrantied the Turbo

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by SpruceLandscape, Dec 22, 2008.

1. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape Senior Member

Here's one for ya...

Earlier this year I started noticing that my truck would click on the CEL when accelerating with a heavy trailer or load on the truck. Only did it once in a while, and although it would essentially defuel a little during that particular acceleration period, the truck would run fine and eventually the light would go out after 5 or so key cycles on the ignition.

Started doing it more often, and I also started noticing that it was more prevalent when accerating with the RPMs above 2K like when merging onto a highway etc. even if the truck wasn't hauling or pulling a trailer. Also noticed that when accelerating in general that the truck seemed like it was starting to throw a lot more black smoke (not when compared to some other guys out there, but it used to not have any even with the peddle to the floor).

Anyways, this all started back in April or so, but never really had a day to take it to the dealer to have it scanned until recently, especially if it wasn't really affecting driveability. They had the truck for about an hour and came out to tell me that the wastegate on the turbo was frozen up and apparently would not let the truck reach full boost under hard acceleration, which is what led to the engine cutting fuel out at some point due to the lack of air I guess. Anyways, everything was covered under warranty, they even replaced the downpipe on the exhaust because it was rusted onto the back of the original turbocharger. Didn't cost me a cent, but could be something you guys who are running all those programmers out there may want to watch out for. If I would have had a programmer on this thing, it would have voided the warranty out and I would have been eating the bill for a new turbo at some point.

2. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape Senior Member

I'll also be interested to see if my fuel mileage goes up any now. And no... I have ZERO black smoke even with the peddle to the floor again. Guess I didn't notice before because it was kind of gradual, but this thing pulls much harder now through the entire RPM range than what it was last week before I took it in.

3. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

all engine parts are covered intill 100,000 or 5 years

4. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

Warranty isn't void if you have a good dealer that just looks the other way to any mods that you have done to the truck.

5. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

exmark1 is right I was a cummins tech at a dodge deal for 4 years i never said any thing if the truck had a chip in it just got it taken care of.