1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

427 Tall deck

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by BigBlock454, Nov 26, 2001.

1. BigBlock454

BigBlock454 Junior Member
    from Jersey

I just recently got my hands on a 427 Tall Deck with 60k original miles. My question is more curiosity then anything since this motor is coming apart. Would anyone know what the horsepower and torque rating on this motor would be? I am figuring since these tall decks are gear driven with slightly more cam than your average big block, There should be a little more power. Any info will be appreciated.

2. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Since the tall decks were truck engines (big trucks, not pickups) they were intended to make more torque and peak out lower than the normal 427. I'm not sure just what internals were changed but I don't think you can use standard intakes on them due to the wider spacing between heads that resulted from the taller block. I think they are low compression engines intended for regular grade gas. As far as I know they will drop in and bolt up in place of any other GM V-8 with the exception of the exhaust, which will also be wider across the top of a Y pipe.

3. BigBlock454

from Jersey

quite a few things are going to be different. Distibutor, Brackets, Fan shroud clearance, Brake booster clearance is going to be tight, Etc....I know its got low compression. The way the cam was cut gave it alot of torque.I just want to know what the torque and power rating was. Yes. This motor came out of a GMC C7000..30,000 GVW. Thanks for the response..

4. BigBlock454

from Jersey

This is going to be a stroker motor anyway. They are good because not only can you increase crank and rod lengths, You can bore it .125 over with plenty of meat on the cylinder. 366T motors you cant...