1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

40-60 Residentials... how would you do it

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by THELC, Oct 28, 2015.

1. THELC

THELC Junior Member

Here's the scoop (pun intended)... I am a large lawn care business owner getting into snow removal. Have a contract for between 40-60 residential properties (driveways and sidewalks) located in one county. I average about 7 minutes drive time per property. Unlike typical residential properties, I have 48 hours to remove the snow from each property. I am expecting to work 16 hours a day for the two days following each snowfall. My insurance policy is set up to allow me to add subcontractors or employees quickly if needed.

My question for you is how would you do it? Discuss equipment, how many driveways/sidewalks you avg per hour with your setup, the time benefit of one man crew vs 2 or 3 man crews etc.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Are these places vacant? If not You Dont have 48 hours to get done 6 to 8 hours max. One truck and a shoveler

3. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

This, do you have any equipment, what trucks do you own. If a big storm, and you wait, you may need a machine.

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I don't get it.

Your on site time is 7 minutes or your drive time between accounts is 7 minutes?

I also don't get the 48 hours thing, even spread around I don't know why it would take that long.

I'm guessing they're foreclosures and that's why you have 48 hours?

5. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Lets say 60 driveways with the average including travel of 10 minutes....that's 600 mins, or 10hrs.

Trying to figure out the base of your reality of 16 hours for 2 days..... no idea where you get 32 hours of plowing.

Unless you're expecting a blizzard of each and every outing

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Math is a harsh mistress.

7. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

So what you said is 16 hours to do the route.

Avg 7 minutes between each account (not sure if this is in the summer time or winter time)

7*60=540/60= 7 hrs of driving
    That's a pretty scattered route for one truck.
    That means 9 hours of plowing or 420 minutes / 60 drives at 9 minutes per drive. (Not sure on how much snow you based that off of (also don't know how big these drives are))
    I assume these times are solo and not with a crew. Either way, that'll increase as the day progresses because of fatigue.

8. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Better add in time to take your before during and after pictures, factor the 10-20% of what you billed won't be paid for any misc reason and you'll figure out it's a great business to be in, 10 years ago that is.

9. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

My head hurts guys.

10. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

He's figuring 2 per hour. I'm guessing rural drives and it gets pretty drifted in that part of the state.

11. THELC

THELC Junior Member

Too clarify a few things:
    Yes, I have 48 hours to remove the snow, all vacant properties.
    My 7 minute drive time is what I expect in the winter.
    On the advice for photos, it takes me literally one minute per property.
    The nonpayment issue, I did 1200 grass cuts for this particular company and didn't get paid on 3. That's .25%, a number I can live with :)

My equipment: I have a commercial 2 stage blower and am debating on what else to get...possibly a blade, possibly another blower or 2. That is what I am seeking your opinions on. What would you do to handle this contract?

12. THELC

THELC Junior Member

As far as the time aspect, a few of you understand it, while some did not. So I will make an attempt to clarify.

I have a maximum of 32 hours to spend moving snow. If we are figuring 60 properties with a 7min drive time per property, 7 hours of that time is spent driving. So I have 25 hours to be actually moving snow if that much time is needed.

Remember this is a game of averages... I know some properties take longer than others.. We are talking about your avg residential properties located in city limits.

13. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

I'd probably break it down into regions and have a truck dedicated to each region. If I had it broken in down into regions, I would fill regions that had less accounts than others, I would fill them in with Small commercial accounts or something that could potentially be more profitable.

I certainly wouldn't want to take the maximum amount of time allowed to do each account.

14. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Wait so are you only using snowblowers? Or are you plowing them?

15. THELC

THELC Junior Member

I am open to suggestions. Right now I just have one nice commercial blower but am assuming it is going to take more than that to do this volume.

16. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I have done driveways for 9 years with a blower.

You are not going to get 40 to 60 driveways done that fast.

What to do you mean 48 hours? Man hours, or 48 hours from when the storm ends?

From the storm ends there is no way you will get that work done in 48 hours from when the snow stops falling.

Then not even if you have five 10 hour days. For after the plow trucks block off those driveways and the snow freezes up like concrete. Slow going.

17. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

It all depends on price you are getting
    I've been contacted for several house like that and they offer $25 each u can't get a local high school kid to do it for that price

18. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Get yourself a jeep and a plow. That many drives, if it snows, turns to rain, then back to snow, you
    will be cursing the day you took that many on.

19. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

If your a "large lawn business owner" do you cut your lawns with a 22" snapper all by your self? Get some real equipment.

20. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Dude, leave the blower home. Get yourself a 2011- up F250 4x4 with a V plow. Otherwise, refuse the offer.