1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4 x 4 system

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by dutchman, Mar 19, 2007.

1. dutchman

dutchman Senior Member

Ok. This is what I don't get I have a customer with a driveway that goes up hill. I was not able to make it up there the other night when I was plowing but the owner who has a SUV had no problem to get up his driveway. I have a 2001 Chevy 2500 HD ext. Cab and the plow was in the up position and I tried 4x4 low and high. So I like to know what I do wrong or is there a problem with my truck. Thanks for the help

2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

What condition are your tires in? Also the extra weight of your truck and blade trying to up the driveway probably didnt help either. Also unless your rear axle is posi, you can only sometimes get all 4 wheels to spin. Usually only 2-3 wheels spin. Those are just some of the ideas i had as to what might be your problem.

3. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Are you real sure your 4x4 actually engaged?

4. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

Weight weight weight.Thats just a thought. Yeah good tires help too. It depends on the snow too. I hate that really fluffy stuff that as soon as you spin it's slick as ice. I have nearly broke my a&& on that stuff a few times. I did a lot of hilly drives and always had to add weight in the rear for better traction. My Cherokee plows better than any pickup I have ever owned. If I do need weight I have a steel plate 1" thick that just fits in the back, it goes rite to the back of the back seat and just fits.

5. dutchman

dutchman Senior Member

I put wait in the back and the tires are good. If I put it in 4x4 you can hear it but how do you really know it works or not. I had the same problem with my 1992 chevy 2500 and I thought after I bought this one thinks would be better but I guess not

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A sure fire way to diagnose if your 4WD is engaged, is to first pull it in 4X4 (of course) and LEAVE THE IGNITION KEY IN THE RUN POSITION, jack up ONE front tire until it's off the ground and try and spin it. If it spin's, then it's not engaged.

7. dutchman

dutchman Senior Member

Thanks for the info

8. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

In 4x4 mode mine has a certain hum to it. I suspect everyone hears the same. If your in 4x4 the difference between you moving with and without it is like night and day. I suspect your's is not working.

9. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Try driving with the plow on in 2wd mode on a snowy road or parking lot and then switch to 4wd...you'll know the instant you step on the gas if you're in 2wd or 4wd.

When you couldn't get up the driveway were you trying to push snow or climb up with the plow raised so you could push downhill?

10. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Next time to get the job done try backing up the hill. When you get to the point of stopping or getting stuck plow what is in front of you and repeat process till done.

11. dutchman

dutchman Senior Member

I had the plow in the up possition well the 4x4 is working but the Mechanic told me the tires are wider than normal could that have something to do with it.........It is one size up

12. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

Bigs tires need lots of weight. I only see them work well on big 1 tons, Diesels, or contractors trucks. My buddy's reg cab 3/4 Ford with cap & tools weighs more than my dad's ex cab Diesel.
    ps the 2 quotes from supercrew an myself are from a different tread.

13. Gmgbo

Gmgbo Senior Member

i have the same problem. Sometimes i cant make it out of my driveway with 245-75-16 stock tires, with good tread on my 3/4 with plow and sander, but my sister makes it out fine in an AWD ford escape.

On my 05 with posi and no sander I make it out fine. Both trucks have working 4wd

14. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I figured out not too long ago that i don't have a posi rear diff, and that is a royal PITA, especially in this last storm on long pushes (forget about them). This spring im going to swap it out for a posi!

That could be your problem, but if you want to see if you are in four wheel drive, put it in 4*4hi and turn the wheel all the way to one side. If the truck is hard turning or the turning radius is huge compared to normal driving in two wheel drive, then you are in four wheel drive.

15. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

A friend of mine has the 2500hd. Now he doesn't plow but in a storm with the stock tires in 4 wheel drive he couldn't get out of his own way. He replaced the stock tires with something different...all was better.

16. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Stock 245 on the GMC and Chevy are a big complaint. I had mine siped ( small slits to increase traction in ice) and they are 100 times better. Ballast and tire preshure makes a huge difference. If you have 80PSi in the rear with no ballast you domed from the start.

17. Joshjeepcj7

Joshjeepcj7 Member

put chains on it

18. gearhead

gearhead Member
    from ind.

plow your way up the drive