1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4 X 4 die on my chevy

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by bob00, Jun 13, 2010.

1. bob00

bob00 Senior Member

hi pepole i am sure the ansewer is some were but i can t find it

my 4 x 4 just fail at the momant i need it today on my 1989 chevy 1500 it was slow tu engage a the frise place then today i pull the lever but the light never light up and the hub didint lock so my guest is the acutor is dead but i am not a mecanic and i would like some second advice befor i take it apart

2. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Sounds like the diff actuator to me too. Pretty easy fix.

Since its a mechanical case, there's really nothing else that would cause it not to work.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like the axle/diff actuator for sure. If you need to get going in a hurry, pull the CAD, stuff a socket in the axle housing in the cavity, and put the CAD back in. Now you will have instant 4wd when you pull the lever into 4wd.

4. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

2COR, sweet idea. Never heard of that one.

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Really! Figured you would have done that a dozen times.

I do that with mine at the start of snow season, leave it in until April. Some nice to push the button and go.

BTW, I meant to say lugnut, but a 3/8 drive socket will work too.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

7. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Lololol I mustve been sleeping on the job!!!! :)

8. bob00

bob00 Senior Member

thanks for all the input guys the front actuator is dead power go in but it wont move

do you know were i can get one online from a place that ship here tymusic ??

i did emailed some seller on ebay but no answer yet

its a 2 wire metal front actuator i try just warp the one from the 88 i got but is not the same it got a 3 wire plastic case front actuator

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Most any of the usual online places will ship north so that shouldn't be an issue and all of them will carry the actuator as it's a very very common replacement part. Rockauto.com is a common one that many people like.

10. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

i got mine at advanced auto and it waslike 90 bucksif i believe!