1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4 whl steering

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Got Snow, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Got Snow

Got Snow Senior Member

with all this time sitting around, i was thinking how nice it would be to have four wheel steering on my f350 for all of my driveways.

i know the new gmc has 4ws, does anyone run one of those trucks and if so how is it?

has anyone ever converted a truck to 4ws?

how about anyother types of equipment with 4ws or articulating set-ups that would be good for driveways (and wouldn't need to be trailerd)?

thanks for your thoughts
  2. Wesley's Lawn

Wesley's Lawn Senior Member

I think Bobcats A series would be good with there all wheel steer, wouldnt leave marks like when you turn with a regular one. I wonder if ford or dodge will come out with four wheel steering now?
  3. Got Snow

Got Snow Senior Member

4. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Oh yea? Check this one out!

I'm a Caterpillar man myself. Dad works at the HQ downtown and we have longsince shared the interest, focusing on the Caterpillar line. After the aquisition of ASV, I think Cat stumbled on the best design for a track-based skid steer. It may not turn like the Melroe does, but I think It would be very pavement-friendly and have unsurpassed traction in any kind of terrain or weather.

Cat's multi-terrain track-based skid steer
  5. Crazygator

Crazygator Member
    from TN

You would be basically building a monster type truck. As you know, they use the 4 wheel steering. I do not think it would be a wise choice to build one for the street though, especially if your using this truck for heavy hauling and towing, and a daily driver. Nice to get into tight places, but I would think very scary if it came loose, back end would be everywhere, then CRASH!.

My buddies built trucks and one is a close friend of the guy who runs Predator. All they do is take a front steering axle that is a 5 ton unit and bolt to the rear. Then you have to have hydraulic steering cylinders, a hydraulic pump, controls and switches just to get the same affect as the GMC. You could always get a 2 1/2 ton axle which is how the very first Bigfoot was built. A must have would be some type of locking pin that you could put in for a safety measure when the rear steering is not needed, to keep it locked going straight.

Although if you did built one your truck could crab and have some really tight turning when compared to the GMC. Let us know when you get it built and how it does ok?....:D

Oh yeah, better start saving that money for all the parts too!
  6. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

Only way you're going to get it is if you build your self.

The GM one is a half ton.

Not available in a heavier configuration with good reasons why.
  7. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

I think it is avaible on the 6 bolt not on the 8 bolt. They have it avalable on the 2500 Suburban.

I wish they would build a 1 ton srw 4ws truck, a 10 foot reduction in turning radius would be a huge benefit.
  8. Wesley's Lawn

Ok this might be a lil off topic but chucker reminded me somehthing. A couple of weeks ago i was driving down the highway and i was at a stop light and i saw what was an older like 80s suburban with dual rear wheels. Now it was a lil lifted did GM ever make any DRW suburbans or did the guy switch bodies from a truck?
  9. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

Guy converted a 3/4 ton to a duelly. He didn't change bodies, they put a duelly rear end in it and body flairs.

A dealer by me sells one like this a year.

GM has never offered a duelly suburban.
  10. Wesley's Lawn

Yea thanks SGF I didnt think they ever made one, why would they.
  11. jakegypsum

jakegypsum Senior Member

I have seen several DRW Suburban type vehicles from the 80's. Not many around but somehow or another, they did exist. One of the vehicles that I remember almost had a "Military" type chasis. Heavy iron rims. Jake.
  12. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

Got Snow

i was going to start a thread about this today.you must be reading my mind.monday morning i was out plowing and i kept saying how nice it would be to have a 4X4X4
  13. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

How about this Mike?

I found this on another bbs i frequent

If you could trin the wheelbase a little, i bet it wouldnt make a bad plow truck. It'd turn heads at least!
  14. Tim1075

Tim1075 Senior Member

Is that the exhaust coming out the side there by the toolbox?
  15. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

another 6x6x6, all I could find on it.

One for the dodge fans.

16. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

Let's not leave out the unimog on this either.

This aint your fathers oldsmobil.

Attached Files:

17. jakegypsum

jakegypsum Senior Member

Two things:
    #1) Are all four wheels connected to the drive line or is one axel a dummy axel???
    #2) Always keep in mind that when you have more axels, it doesn't mean that you have twice the traction. The same weight truck on a single axle has more lbs. per sqft than a tandem. This truck can very much so cut through through nasty amounts of snow but it must have the proper amount of ballast weight on the rears to do so. A lot more weight is needed on this rig vs. a standard single axel truck.
    This is a beautiful rig and I do commend the owner. I am also curious on the operation if it. Jake.
  18. Ryan Mull

Ryan Mull Junior Member

USA 6x6

Here is a site all about the 6x6 trucks. . pretty interesting.

19. jakegypsum

jakegypsum Senior Member

Wow! Looks's interesting. I will have to check it out. Jake.
  20. plowman

plowman Junior Member

shopping mall in delaware has a 8 wheels on 4x4 john deere tractor with 25" pusherblade onit comes with a/c heat and cd player:D