1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4-Wheelin' in the New Snow !!

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Alaska Boss, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Alaska Boss

Alaska Boss PlowSite.com Addict
    from Alaska

Well, since I think I have all my plowing done for the time being, and today turned into a beautiful day, I decided to jump on my 4-wheeler and head back into the mountains behind my house & see how much snow fell up there in the last few days,...

1.JPG

2. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

As I headed up the trail, and started climbing up thru the valley, the snow really didn't get much deeper than what it was at my house,...

2.JPG

3.JPG

3. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

But soon I came across the tracks of something I wondered about after I left my house,.. without a gun,... fresh grizzly tracks !!

4.JPG

5.JPG

4. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

There's not much left for them to eat at this time of year anymore,... so they won't wander around too much longer before going into hibernation,... at this point they probably are burning more calories than they can put on,... I put my pocket knife in a front paw print for size reference,... this one is not real big,... maybe a 3 - 4 year old,...

6.JPG

5. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

The trail keeps slowly climbing in elevation,... but the difference in snow depth was not really noticeable,...

7.JPG

8.JPG

6. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

My Honda Foreman has the AT-589 tires on it, which, IMO, are the best there are in mud, and they do ok in snow too.... (some of these pictures I took on my way back,...)

9.JPG

7. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Finally got up close to tree line,... then the country opens up more, but the brush gets thicker,...

10.JPG

8. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

awesome pics man, it looks like a beautiful area up there and snow always makes it better. got any rooms in your place for rent lol :cool:

9. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Moose tracks started getting more frequent in the trail too,.... by late winter, all this brush will be totally buried, and this valley here will be pure white except for the trees sticking out,...

11.JPG

12.JPG

10. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

When I got way back in there, I took off thru the brush away from the trail & climbed up on one of my favorite "moose look-outs", hoping maybe to spot a big bull,....

13.JPG

14.JPG

11. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

..... and when I got to the top, and peeked down on the other side, there was not just one but 2 nice bull moose standing there!! :bluebounc

15.JPG

16.JPG

17.JPG

12. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

So I kept on going & climbed up on the highest peak I could with this 4-wheeler,... and snapped a couple more pictures before heading back,...

19.JPG

13. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

mostly blue skies,... temps about 28°,... dead calm wind,... made for a perfect day for a ride on the mountains,... but after this, the rest of my trips up here will be on a snowmachine,...

20.JPG

21.JPG

14. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

And then, as a final tribute to the day, about half-way back, in the trail that's only several hours old,... here's a small black bear track, freshly made while I was up here right in my tracks,... he followed my track for 100 yards or so, then headed uphill.. probably looking for the closest Motel 6,.. it was a small one too,... but I'm still glad I didn't run right into him, since I didn't want to have to convince him that I really don't taste too good,... :D:salute:

18.JPG

15. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Awesome!

Its good to see your not one of those guys that doesnt realaize how beautiful of an area your in. Your always out and taking awesome pics and sharing them with us, keep up the good work, im starting to think I live up there with all the pics I seen from you!

16. BETHELSKIER

BETHELSKIER Senior Member

Incredible country up there.Looks like you were able to get pretty close to those moose. Thanks for the pics:salute:

17. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

looks like fun man! i really wanna get a sled this winter or a 4wheeler i havent decided..looks like so much fun.

i wish you'd share some of that snow with us alittle south haha

18. F250 Boss v

F250 Boss v Senior Member

What beauty! Thanks for sharing these with us! -Glad you didn't run into any of those bears... Keep the pictures coming!

19. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

great pics AB. i would love to get out there having no one else around...besides the couple of "friends" you ran into lol.

20. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Has anyone told Palin that you got snow... ? ? ? ?