1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4 wheel low Grind..

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Plowinpro03, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Plowinpro03

Plowinpro03 Senior Member

Im about to buy a 1995 Chevy 6.5L TD 1500 Ex Cab truck with 112K on the clock. Im paying a good coin for the truck body is in mint condition. However, i test drove it the other day and getting the truck out of 4 Wheel Low, it grinds, wont come out unless i shut the truck down. Im at a dead stop, with the column shifter in N....grinds like a *****. My buddies mechanic told me thats "normal" if the truck isn't shut down.

So what hes saying is in order to get into 4wheel low, you need to shut down your truck, and when your taking it out you need to shut down your truck. I've owned 4x4s my entire life, i was there when i had to jump out and lock and unlock the hubs in the days, and ive never ONCE in my life ever heard of shutting down a truck to shift in and out of 4wheel low. So, is this Xcase about to grenade on me? 4wheel high goes in and out fine. Also, in 4wheel low, the truck has no torque. Ball less. Once again that mechanic told me that it was b/c its a turbo truck and if theres no load, it wont go.

What do you guys thing?

2. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Normal. Are you doing it in nuetral? It's faster if you shut the truck off, but if you wait a minute you don't have to. Every GM manual 4x4 truck I've had has done this.....and that's like 20 of them. I usually never wait, I just pull back hard and grind it in quick. I never had a single issue with anything breaking. And also, it's not like 4 low is used much anyway. It grinds b/c those t-cases go through neutral to get to 4 low.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  3. Jacobsmovinsnow

Jacobsmovinsnow Senior Member

Funny I got a 89 and it does not do that...........something is not right in the TC but you may get away from it if you stay out of low

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Pop the truck into neutral, bring the truck to a stop. Make a quick shift from 2hi directly to 4lo. Do not pass Go, do not collect - wait, that's something else. Do NOT stop at neutral. Just a quick, firm shift. A little grinding is normal, just push it right into gear. Some trucks seem to shift in and out of low range better at a standstill, some better while the truck is rolling (in neutral) a couple MPH. I've had a couple shift better each way.