1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4 wheel growl and pinging.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by The mayor, Jan 18, 2007.

1. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

My 1990 k1500 is making a low growling noise when I put in into 4 wheel drive. When plowing drives It will make a pinging...like a spring noise every time I start in forward or reverse stopping or starting. Anybody knows if this could be a problem. I plowed for 9 hours with the strange noises. Truck has 185000 with the original trans and transfer case.
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A "pinging" noise when changing direction usually stem's from a worn or dry U-joint.If it only does it when you have the truck in 4WD then their's a good chance it's one of the joint's in the front driveshaft. Also be a good idea to check the fluid levels in the front diff and T-case.
  3. Caleb55

Caleb55 Member

As said above, it's more than likely a bad u joint in your front driveshaft. I had the same problem last year. It's a pretty easy fix.
  4. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

top off your fluids all around and grease everything up. if the problem still persists change out your universal joints. it sounds like lack of lube somewhere. i wouldnt do the 9hrs of plowing again until you get some fluids and grease in the proper areas...hell i wouldnt even drive it
  5. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

I should be able to get to it this weekend. We have snow coming again on monday. You would think this truck would be able to hold up better than this.( that's a joke)
  6. U-joints, u-joints u-joints!!!