1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4 wheel drive woe's

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by snowplowdog, Feb 20, 2011.

1. snowplowdog

snowplowdog Member

I was just out plowing with my YJ when I heard a clunk from the transfer case & the 4 wheel drive stopped working. It shifts through 2 hi, 4 hi, & 4 low no problem but won't engage. Anyone have any ideas?

2. sjwrangler

sjwrangler Member

Is the front engaging? The fork might not be working correctly. The vac-operated units are known for problems. Otherwise, ask in http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/

3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Ya,, the front axle disconnect have problems. there is a threaded plug on the side of the disconnect that you can screw a bolt into to force the fork to engage. In my YJ I had problems with the diaphragm failing.

4. snowplowdog

snowplowdog Member

I pulled the actuator out & found the fork was broken. I manually engaged it & finished up plowing for the night & now I'll just have to order the parts.

5. sjwrangler

sjwrangler Member

On mine, the PO put a bolt through internally so it is engaged all the time. It sounds like Plowmeister's method would be easier. If you get stuck, I have Factory new (OEM) wiring harness (hoses) for the vac system I could sell. I l thought I would install them, but I leave the fork engaged all the time. Yes, if it worked I could get 1 or 2 MPG more in summer, but my Jeep is not a DD.