1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4 wheel drive stopped working

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by sargex595, Mar 11, 2011.

1. sargex595

sargex595 Member

I have a 2005 GMC 2500HD 4X4 with 30,000 miles with the push button 4 wheel drive. I plow my driveway, a few neighbors, the church and firehouse and receive no money as I enjoy doing it. The 4 wheel drive stopped working after the last 18" snow fall just as I was getting done. Took it to the dealer and the actuator malfuntioned and was stuck between 2 wheel drive and 4 wheel hi. The mechanic said there was a grinding type noise when he spun the front wheel and was hoping it would go away when he replaced the actuator but it didn't. He said that because the actuator didn't go all the way in, it caused something more to break in the front. After the tore it apart, the total cost would be $1,825. I just paid the truck off and they told me the extented power train warranty that came out in 2007would have covered it. I used to have a 98 Dodge 2500 with the button you turned on the dash and I never had a problem with it. The dealer told me this was the first truck he saw this winter which required more than just a actuator. I really can't afford a new truck and I just put on new tires, brakes and replaced the little plastic clip for the door handle and tail gate and otherwise have had no problems until this so I told them to order the parts which were a special order. I'm hardly use the 4 wheel drive as we haven't really had a lot of snow until this year and I plow my house and a neighbors with my JD X595. Has anyone else had a problem like this and do you think I could have more problems down the road? Thanks for listening.

Curt.

2. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Hmmmmm.

Sounds like you should have been charging for your services. Now you see why plowing isn't free for anyone. Sounds like with your damages you paid your clients to plow for them.

If I'm correct, GM uses a linkage system with thier 4wd units that engages not only the transfer case but also the front differential.

What might have happened is that you broke something in the front dif and you aren't going to know anything until you can get it out of there and take a look at it.

If you are trying to save money, you'll probably better off going to a salvage yard to find a replacement.

3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

If you really need a new front diff, find one in a junk yard....buddy of mine just did his with a salvage yard part for $600 and we did it ourselves. Its a pretty simple job overall. If you want to be sure something is broken in there and something in there can't simply just be replaced, when you take it out split the case and have a look!

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

He was "hoping" the the noise would go away? I hope he charges the same rate for diagnosis as you do for plowing.

If by linkage you mean electrical wires, then yes.

Would agree that a salvage front diff would be a good choice on a six year old truck. The front diffs in these trucks are usually very reliable. Sounds like you had a fluke failure. I realize that doesn't help your wallet, but you can be confident your 4wd will work for a long time after the correct repairs.

6. sargex595

sargex595 Member

Thanks for the replies. I already gave them the go ahead and they have ordered the parts. I will get the broken parts from them so I can see what broke.

Thanks,
    Curt.