1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4 wheel drive question

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by KINNCO, Jan 22, 2008.

KINNCO Senior Member

my first FORD

My 02 super duty 4 wheel drive dash lock in has been acting up.
    I try not run it in 4-H all the time, here lately when I drive to my next job in 2-H, I have to lock the hubs in manually. Is this normal.

o yes when I was turning today I heard a load clunk and it kicked out of dash lock in??
  2. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

I presume you have the auto locking hubs? If so, mine did this also. Sometimes they would lock on their own and sometimes not. They are vaccuum actuated and mine would loose that vacuum at the hub seals. Two new seals and wallah! I am not sure if this answers your question or not?

KINNCO Senior Member

I thought maybe that's what it was. Is there just hub seal on each side?
    It's still under warranty, do ya think that might be covered?
    How hard of a job is it?
  4. ronnie dobbs

ronnie dobbs Junior Member

Doubtful it's under warranty if your truck is an 02, if it were mine I would switch out the auto hubs for some good ol fashioned manual hubs.

KINNCO Senior Member

I didn't buy it new, but I did get an extended warranty. It has the lock in hubs.
    Its just nice to have the others as well.
  6. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

truthfully, i had a shop do it for me when they replaced my ball joints. At that time I knew nothing about how these hubs worked. Now I know more than I want to know! The mechanic told me that this is a common problem on them. The road grime and salt eat them up. As for warranty, it doesn't hurt to check with your dealer on it. I doubt it is covered, since it is a wearable part.
  7. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

ive had the electronic shift on the flys before and i didnt like em.. i like my current set up with manual hubs and shifter on the floor
  8. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

The ESOF system works great!, You just have to maintain it more than a conventional system.
  9. Focker

Focker Member

Ive been arm wrestling with the damn dealer since day one about my hubs!! I have had nothing but problems with the "auto" hubs and they keep telling me that there is nothing wrong with the truck but that it is just a 'characteristic of the truck'! What a load of crap! Anywho, that is what it sounds like your problem is, they are just not designed well and self destruct. I have an 06 with 18K on it and I have to manually lock my hubs in order to use 4wd since the crappy "auto" wont stay engaged!:gunsfiring:
  10. KINNCO

KINNCO Senior Member

:waving:Thanks Focker...that's just wanted I wanted to hear.

I always want to say that:p
  11. kmg365

kmg365 Junior Member

My auto hubs won't stay locked in either, always pop out when a turn. Took it to the deal and they said the auto hubs have the tendancy not to fully engage, which wear them out. Over $1000 just for parts. For know i'm just going to manually lock em in.
  12. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

I have 265k on my 03' and the only time I ever have had a problem with my hubs is when I first got it. All I did was take them off and clean them and lightly grease them. I do this every year and I have no problems. It takes less than an hour to do both sides and you don't have to jack the truck up or take the wheel off.
  13. SuperDuty

SuperDuty Senior Member

I HAD the same hubs as you but I changed them out to Warns. The auto lockers never worked right from the day I bought the truck. Ford also wants $300. per side and I think the Warns cost me $200 for the set. If I were you I'd put the Warns in and forget about the others. Also, they are very easy to put in!! Good Luck!!!
  14. KINNCO

KINNCO Senior Member

The last two storms I didn't have any problems:dizzy

Yamaguy..how did you clean and grease the hubs without taking anything off??
  15. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Ford says these can't be serviced but I doubt that that is because they cost $300 a side?

These hubs run off vacuum unless you go out and manually lock them in. You will replace 2 outer seals when you regrease the hubs. There is a seal on the inside as well but you have to pull the hub to replace that seal also check the vacuum lines to make sure you don't have a leak somewhere. Hope the link helps you out
  16. KINNCO

KINNCO Senior Member

Thanks for the link. That doesn't look to difficult to do. Here's one for ya:drinkup:
  17. RobbieB

RobbieB Senior Member

My auto hubs haven't worked in years. Most people say replace them with a good set of Warn hubs.
  18. cornerstone

cornerstone Member

Just had my first go around with these hubs on my 99 F-250. We were on a trip in an ice storm last week and the left hub broke internally. Just got back and read this thread about Warn hubs. Ford dealer told me no aftermarket were available for the autocrap hub set up. Sent me to another Dealer who had a factory hub. Approx.$370.00 with tax for one. If we hadn't been pressed getting to a funeral I'd have checked around some more.

Thanks to everyone who contrubutes to my further education.
  19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Just a quick tip for you guys that want to go from the pulse vacuum auto hubs to the aftermarket full manual hubs. Make sure to plug the vacuum line on each side where it runs down to the wheel assembly. Keeps it from tripping the service 4WD icon and setting a code.

I normally use a BB or a piece of steel shot.