1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4 wheel drive or not

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Precision Lawn, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Precision Lawn

Precision Lawn Senior Member

How many of you would buy a F550 dump truck two wheel drive and plow snow.
    Do you think that you would have a problem or not
    My plans are to put a plow and a salter on it

Thanks for the info
  2. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

i would buy it my f350 is 2wd but with a few ton in the bed it goes just fine. witha 550 you could put a 9 or 10 footer on and run a DOT style salter with 5-6 ton you should have no problems.
  3. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

I just bought a new F450 and its 4 wheel with the limited slip rear diff. . I put a Blizzard 8611 on it. Its a great plow truck. If you are buying a new truck with intention of plowing with it, you would be a fool not to have 4x4.
  4. Precision Lawn

Precision Lawn Senior Member

Thanks for the info
    The truck is used but a really good price on it
  5. yardsmith

yardsmith Senior Member

put enough weight in the bed, & have good tires & you should be fine. Just don't take too big of a bite if it gets deep.
  6. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

good rubber is defentially key...Change up the tires every 2 years, well that seems to be the magic number for me... For the first 2 years I've been plowing in 2wd all the time... 3000 lbs out back no problems with getting suck... But now that im on the yrd season.. Those tires are shot, 4x4 all the time now... Go for it, I was just actually lookin at a 5500 2wd myself also....
  7. TEX

TEX Senior Member

just look at what business your in......if you already have a 2wd truck you can, in most cases, make it work. i asy if you just buying the truck get 4X4.