1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4 wheel drive making noise

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by GMC99, Feb 5, 2007.

1. GMC99

GMC99 Senior Member
    from 60188

I've got a 2003 2500 Ram 4X4 with the cummins.. I noticed yesterday that when locked in 4X4 and on the gas, a grinding noise was coming from the front end, sounded and felt to me like it was under the drivers seat or atleast in that area.. It only does it in 4x4 and under acceleration. All the U-joints are fine all fluids are fine. It was really loud and bad yesterday, and today wasn't as bad. Would the cold weather have something to do with it? It really sounds like its a bad u-joint, but like I said they all checked out ok. Anyone have any suggestions? The truck has 104,000 miles on it.

2. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

is it push button or floor shifted transfer case?

3. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

Push button or floor shift t case? If it floor shift what the pattern of the shifter front to back? You were not on hard dry roads where ya?

1 it could have been that you had not had it 4x for while and some parts where dry
    2 cretin transfer cases are set up to slip when the axles pull at different speeds ( this is mostly on full time t cases)
    3 Linkage not adjusted correctly between 2 gears.
    4 low on gear oil

4. motoxdk24

motoxdk24 Member

check your front tires, they might be worn unevenly, so that slight diffence means one tire turning faster( or slower) than the other, forces acting against each other, meaning grinding,humming, odd not normal sounds.....

wheel bearings...etc,