1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4 wheel drive 90 chevy 1500

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by waveconcepts, Jan 29, 2009.

1. waveconcepts

waveconcepts Junior Member
    from indiana

ok so here's the deal i've been pushing for aournd 16 hours and my 4 wheel drive has been working fine no problem just some popping when turning (which i have been told is normal) if not some one please say so, any way all the sudden 4wd just quits 4wd lights are on so i switch out back into 2wd and drive around the parking lot then switch back to 4wd again it makes a grinding noise faint but you know its there and the 4wd doesn't actually engage, so i repeat these steps about 4 or 5 times then it starts doing it in 2wd time to pack up and get her home i used to have a jeep wrangler that the same type of thing happend and it just ended up being the linkage got out of wack. now what i was pushing was about 3 inches of ice and snow and i'm just really in a bad mood now. any one have any ideas?
  2. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Might be the actuator for the 4x4. To check up near the passenger tire on the axel is a wire with an egg looking thing on it remove the egg looking thing and then go and turn ignition on and put in 4hi go back and seeif the "button" popped out if not there is your problem.
    You may also want to try posting in the correct area. The chevy truck area or equipment repair would be more appropriate.