1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4 low or 4 high

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by wsmm, Jan 6, 2014.

1. wsmm

wsmm Member

I use a 1/2 ton Chevy P/U with cut tree trunks in the rear for ballast. I have a v-6 and 5 speed manual. I have some long sections to plow and also some sections that require a lot of forward nad backup driving. Would you use 4wheel high or low to make it easier on the clutch. More interested in protcting the mechanicals of the truck versus fuel usage. I'm also considering chaining all four tires as have the chains and the vehicle is mainly used to plow my drive in the winter and I can usually get by on one tank of gas, may not do it this year with the amount of snow we're getting. I live in Mid-Michigan,
  2. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

I use 4 high, but my truck also wont go into 4 low so I really don't have any option. Just get a little run up to the snow and youll be good with the clutch. I find the best way to may sure you don't ride the clutch is that once you are moving take your foot completely off, and be deliberate about it.
  3. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

Light and fluffy snow use 4 high, heavy and wet use 4 low. If the truck is struggling use low.
  4. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

4 low will be easier on the clutch. Like Mike said above if its light and fluffy run 4 high. If its wet and heavy 4 low will be your friend and be easier on the clutch.