1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4 low...4 high...what?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by cward05, Oct 10, 2005.

1. cward05

cward05 Senior Member
    from CT

hello everyone, i just have a quick question on my 83 chevy k10. what is the difference between 4 hi and 4 low...i just have mine in the neutral position with the hubs locked for the snow...is this ok to do? what is that neutral position for? thanks.

2. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

ok for starters if your t-case is in neutral then you should not move. if you do then your shifter is outa alignment. next. in 4-hi the t-case drive ratio is 1=1 when its in low depending on your t-case 205 your drive ratio should be around 2.34=1. if you leave the hubs locked drive in 2wd hi. but you may notice a difference in the driving characteristics. I have a 78 3\4 full time four wheel drive. when plowing i use hi-open witch means that my truck pretends ita an all wheel drive if its slick i use 4hi-loc. witch locks the t-case so that the front axel and the rear axel get equal power. i also have 4low and 4 low-loc whitch act the same as hi except for the gear reduction for added torque. this is the same for my 77 dodge p\u. now my 85 dodge is a part time 4wd. there are no locking hubs there is a vacume actuated shaft engagment. so that when in 2wd the transfer case still puts power to the front axel but it just go's to the open end of the axel when i slap it in 4wd-hi vacume is applied to this engagment and engages the front axel. making it 4wd. this is the same for low with the added gear reduction. if you have questions about your transfer case or other 4wd stuff check outwww.pirate4x4.com this site is geared toward off roading but there is alota good info on there boards. if you have more wuestion pm me or throw me an e-mail be glade to help you any way i can.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2005
  3. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

Yeah, the neutral position is for when the truck is being "flat towed" or so you can grind t-case gears or your parking pawl if you've got an automatic. (For those of you who were smart enough to put it in park before shifting into/through neutral if the engine is running and you have the tranny in gear and put the t-case in neutral the input shaft of the 'case spins, and the tranny can shift through gears, This gets all those parts spinning and there is no way to stop them without turning the engine off. Makes lots of fun noise if you try any other method.)

4. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Any time you can, you should try plowing in 4 low. I realize sometimes it is hard to do when you are in a rush, but if you have any kind of technical or difficult area to plow, give it a try. I learned that from an old transmission shop owner, said it would save transmissions. So I tried it. On both my plow trucks I had trans temp gauges, with auxiliary coolers and electric fans. I saw an unbelievable difference in transmission temp. You have to see it to believe it. The trans just does not get worked as hard because of the gear reduction. I never had to trun the electric fans on if I was in low. As long as you arent in a big rush or doing big areas where you need to keep your speed up a little, its the way to go. Whatever you do, dont plow with an automatic unless you have a transmission temp gauge. I always bought the aftermarket B&M ones, I've heard the factory ones in the new trucks are more like an idiot light, they dont react until its too late.

5. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

I plow in 4-hi... I save 4 low for the heavy stuff or if I get into trouble.....