1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4 Low 2

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ChevyHDkid45, Jan 1, 2011.

1. ChevyHDkid45

ChevyHDkid45 Member

I have a 2002 chevy 2500hd with a 6.0. I plow all my stuff in 4 low and have been doing it in regular drive. On a couple drievways i went down into 2 and noticed that it has a smoother shift from 1st to 2nd. I am wondering if it is better or worse on the transmission to do this. I like not having the big jolt from 1st to 2nd but not sure if thats the better way to do it or should i just leave it in regular drive. Any info would be great.

2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Worse...I have the same truck with a Fisher XLS, I plow in 4 high, and depending on the storm, and location, I can even do it in 2 high....Why are you using 4 low?

3. ChevyHDkid45

ChevyHDkid45 Member

4 low keeps the tranny way cooler in my opinion, it keeps the fluid flowing more which keeps it cooler. I use to plow in 4 high and my tranny would get decently hot. I switched to 4 low and it has never gone above 140-150 so in my opinion id rather go in 4low. My dad plowed for 25 years and never plowed in 4 high. Im not saying plowing in 4 high is a bad thing i just prefer to go in low and seem to have better luck with the trans temp.

4. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I would think it would be the opposite....I've never once seen my temp gauge get remotely hot. I forget the gauge settings, but it doesn't even get to the quarter mark when I'm really working it, where as when I tow my boat up the highway (72 - 78 mph) it will sit just under the half mark. Out of curiosity, did your truck come with a plow prep package on it? Do you change the fluid and filter every year? Don't have a lazy mans flush done either, they really effect the torque converter in these trucks.

Not to say what your doing is wrong, but it's more work on the transmission, not to mention the hard shifting.

5. ChevyHDkid45

ChevyHDkid45 Member

Yeah my truck came with the plow prep package. I get a fluid and filter change by the local truck service center around here. I just heard from different people on what to plow in I like 4 low for doing driveways but when i do parkinglots with long passes i will go to 4 high or 2 like you said depending on the conditions.

6. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

I plow in 2wd most of the time, unless it's icey under the snow or the snow is really heavy then I use 4high,
    I only use 4low to pull a truck out of the ditch,
    To me you are putting more wear and tear on your truck plowing in 4 low. JMO

7. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

I only use 4 low when i'm backing into this 1 drive i have because it's a hill and have to push out. Thats it..

8. Having plowed now for over 33 years I can tell you that plowing in low range is an old school method that is tried and true. My experience has been that low range plowing is actually easier on the drivetrain than high range and delivers more torque and power to the wheels when you need it most. Having said that, in this day and age when time is money, most of us don't do it anymore, including me. In the rare instance that I have been stuck, a switch from high to low range almost always does the trick.

To answer your other point about the harsh 1 to 2 upshift. If you are manually putting the shift selector in 2 to start out, the transmission is actually in 2nd gear already, which is why you don't notice the upshift.

9. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I tried this on the last storm we had. I have read and read about 4 low keeping temps down.

Well for me and my 04 2500HD using 4x4 low rose the trans temp to the point of almost overheating. Glad this truck has the trans temp gauge. I used it in 4 low for about 30 mins. In that time my trans temp went from 200* to 260*. Never again and I will stick with 4H when needed and using 1st or 2nd gear to plow in. Most of the time I am plowing in 2 whl drive.

10. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member

to answer your original question: at least on my similar truck when in 4Lo it amplifies any driveline vibration/slop that is present, including shifts from the tranny. my transfer case bearings are all junk and there is a ton of slop, so in 4Lo it is louder and you can feel it much more than 2hi or 4hi...

11. ontario026

ontario026 Senior Member

I use mostly 2wd when plowing, 4Hi only when needed, and 4Lo on 1 drive, only because it involves a fairly steep hill which I plow down, but have to back up the hill several times for a few passes....

Matthew