1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4 lo

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ajslands, Feb 7, 2010.

1. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Hey quick question about 4 lo, Detroit is suppose to get a nice storm Tuesday 6-14" and unforntualy I have a lot that won't be Cleared till the storm is over, will I be able to get over 5 mph so I can use 4 hi instead. Little info on my truck, it's f250 turbo diesel 4x4 6.0 l. The lot is a trucking lot but no docks, just a long 1/8. Mi stretch
  2. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

What's the question?
  3. ajslands

Will I or should I be able to get over 5 mph? I want to use 4 hi and get the lot done fast but if we get a foot will is be able to or should I even?
  4. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Depending on heavy snow or powder, vblade or straight, etc.

I'd open the lot up throughout he storm if at all possible. A foot of snow is rough on equipment.

Yes, you should be able to do it, but it will take substantially longer than normal.
  5. ajslands

Thanks, it's a 8'6" straight blade btw but thanks for the help
  6. iamhere

iamhere Senior Member
    from Tn

4 High should be fine. With my Dodge I can go up to 25mph in 4 low and up to 55mph in 4 high but just because I can doesn't mean that I do or should. The only times you should ever use 4 low is if your stuck or in deep mud or for pulling something out like a bush, stump, another car, or a piece of equipment like a small tractor or something along those lines.

Check your owners manual and it should tell you at what speeds you can travel at in each transfer-case "gear." Is yours an auto or a stick?

Like the other guy said just plow with the storm, why put the added stress on your truck trying to push the full accumulation of the storm when you can knock it out 2 or so inches at a time.
  7. ajslands

It's auto, it's not that I want to but the trigger for the lot is like 6" cuz most semis can get thru anything below that
  8. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

You would need 4L if it struggle in 4H.

And you wouldn't like 4L it shift so hard it jerky when 1 jump to 2 then 3 gear.

Reverse forgot it too slowest like 5-10 mph= 3,500-4,000 rpm. I would shift to 4H when reverse.
  9. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

In 17 years of plowing I have never used 4 lo. I can't see the benifit of trying to plow in 4 lo myself. 4 high makes the same amount of wheels getting power, and as long as you clear with the trigger of 6 inches, then go back and plow again after the storm, it shouldn't be a problem.
  10. KJ Cramer

KJ Cramer Senior Member

4 hi should be fine, the owners manual will tell you to use 4L, but realistically, with a diesel and the low end torque they have, you shouldn't have any problems with 4H. Try it and see; its not that hard to change between the 2 if onr isn't working for you.
  11. ajslands

Ok thanks guys.
  12. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

I have never used 4lo either. Too slow:sleeping: I don't see any reason why you couldn't move 12" of snow with that truck in 4hi. Actually, I think the owners manual with this truck says to plow in 4hi.
  13. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

I ALWAYS plow in 4 lo...much easier on the tranny
  14. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

FALSE! easier on the fluid couple MAYBE easier on the transmission FALSE
  15. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

I disagree and I don't want to get in a pissing match... your tranny works less in 4 lo because the fluid stays cooler.It circulates more disipating more heat causing the tranny to work easier AND LAST LONGER! Heat and friction are what kill tranny's.

Thats my opinion and I havn't had to change a tranny yet in my 14 years of plowing.
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  16. Evanbrendel

Evanbrendel Senior Member

in 4 low its going to take less power to push with the lower gears also but i have never ran out of power in 4 hi
  17. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

It keeps the tranny MUCH cooler to run in 4l. It absolutely is easier on it (the gearing occurs behind the transmission-running in 4l is easier on the tranny just like using lower gears 4.10 instead of 3.55). That being said, i hardly ever use it because it is too slow, and my engine screaming at 5k rpms is worse than just using 4h. I only use 4l in deep snow on steep hills. It keeps the fluid temps down to do it that way. (I also run 4000 lbs of ballast sometimes between the vbox and material) The truck gets heavy. I would never have a need for 4l on flat surfaces. Traction will not be helped either.
  18. JB1

JB1 Senior Member

come to think of it I don't think I have ever had any of my trucks ever in 4 lo.
  19. KJ Cramer

KJ Cramer Senior Member

I usually plow in 4hi and in 1st, get going about 15-20 right around 2000rpm, thats fast enough for me in the lots, 4Lo is way too slow for me and would be at 3500rpm doin 10mph. In the Ford manual it says for deep snow (i dont know their definition of that) use 4L, otherwise use 4H (it also says to plow in overdrive, which I don't because its too hard to drop into that position, its far easier to go all the way down to 1 and back to R for me than moving the 2 clicks between the R and D)but that is a generalized statement for all the models of my truck, with the diesel I can't imagine using 4L to plow, the constant forward reverse with that much torque I think you'd end up breaking a U-joint or drive shaft. When my truck clunks into 4L the whole truck twists with all the power being applied and brakes on and when you shift the trans in Lo you can positively hear and feel it shift, which means thats alot of power being transferred. 4L with a diesel and plowing, I think you'd tear things up on your truck. My .02
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  20. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

If the trigger is 6'' why are you waiting until the end of the storm?