1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4 in one skid steer bucket

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by vet934, Feb 21, 2010.

1. vet934

vet934 Junior Member
    from Idaho

Has anybody plowed snow with a 4 in one skid steer bucket? When the clam is opened wide up, I just wonder how the dozer handles snow. I am not a commercial plower, but I do alot of work for family and neighbors in the winter. I have a cat 416 B backhoe and the bucket digs into gravel driveways sometimes, so I just wonder if a four in one for my skid would work. I have been wanting one for sometime now, but if it wont do snow then I may hold off. Any thoughts?

2. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

You will end up digging into the pavement and making a mess. Just use the bucket normally with the loader arms in float.

3. justinzich

justinzich Member

Sorry I can't help with the four in one, but gravel is a bugger. This time a year it is fine here, it is all frozen solid but the first few plows and the last few of the year you have to be super carefull. Even on float you can dig in easy, our snowblower really can make a mess if you aren't careful.

4. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

I have a 4-'n-1 loader bucket on my 416C (sorry, don't have one on my skid) and I find the bucket is much easier, than the dozer blade, to keep out of the gravel. The dozer portion of the clamshell can be difficult to master and is much less forgiving if the base is soft. I would not recommend using the float function, on any wheeled skid loader, (or the backhoe either) when traveling forward. It simlpy makes the unit stand the front end up (pops a wheelie) which will accomplish nothing. You also have no control of how much down pressure is transfered to the loader. Gravity is in control and it doesn't care if you encounter a soft spot. I would suggest using the bucket angle, combined with the correct amount of down pressure, to keep from digging up your driveway. Like with most any equipment application, practice makes perfect.

5. justinzich

justinzich Member

Floating is very useful in reverse but does not seem to work will going forward with a bucket, the snowblower does however seem to work ok in float but it also runs on skids if set properly.

I could see the 4 in1 beeing useful especially if you put a poly cutting edge or a rounded edge on the bucket and left a sharp edge on the dozer. Then you could use the bucket on the gravel and the dozer on the paved parts.