1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4 High not working

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Mean4x4, Oct 26, 2003.

1. Mean4x4

Mean4x4 Senior Member
    from Livonia

My 98 ram 1500 4x4 auto, works fine in 4 high whenever I don't hit a bump or anything. But it pops out constantly when I'm 4 wheeling on the trails. However, 4 low has no problems at all?? whats wrong with my ram?

2. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

check trans mount,linkage
    make sure the carpet isnt keeping the shiftr from moving all the way forward

cardoctor

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

Is the shifter actually popping out of 4HI or does the shifter stay put and you lose 4WD ?

If the shifter pops out,it may be an internal transfer case problem.If you losing 4WD and the shifter stays put,then it's a vacuum problem or the 4WD actuator

4. Mean4x4

Mean4x4 Senior Member
    from Livonia

The whole shifter

for example, I put it in 4 high, its moved about 20 feet, and then its in 2 wheel drive the lever bumped to 2 wheel drive

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

Like CARDOCTOR said,check and make sure nothing is interfering and that it's going fully into gear.If it is,then you have a problem in the transfer case.It will have to be opened up and inspected to see whats wrong.