1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4' Fiberglass snow marker Tool

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Grn Mtn, Nov 16, 2004.

1. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

I have some funeral home commercial accounts that look for a clean image. Wooden snow markers just wouldn't do. But I dreaded shoving in 100+ poles by hand, especially knowing I'd hit rock every time. So I had my buddy at ST Mur Welding make me up a tool to hammer these in. It worked awesome. If anyone is interested in getting one, let me know.

2. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

Ummm.. What are you hammering in?? Have you cleared this with your local electric company?? If it's all rock, chances are they didn't bury thier cables too deep in that area either..

3. Grn Mtn

Snow poles

Getting clearance to put a snow marker in the ground is not necessary, and its murphy's law for me with rocks(I dug a 180' trench 18" down this summer and could have opened up a quarry with all the rocks I encountered). The tool I have slips over the pole and you lift it up and hammer it down until you have it in about 8", mostly the rocks you encounter with snow poles is the crusher run foundation to the driveway. By hand you couldn't get thru this layer thus forcing you to put the pole more in the yard, but the tool helps you pound thru the rock thus keeping the pole at the drives edge.

4. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

i just stick my markers in a electric pencil sharpener :D

5. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

So basically you have a heavy piece of pipe with a cap on one end and a handle on each side.. The military LOVES using them for temporary fences.. Spent a few hours myself with one or two.. Good shoulder workout, that's for sure..

6. jokatico

jokatico Junior Member
    from Maine

So what does this tool look like? Wouldn't it splinter the fiberglass. I thought of trying to use a cordless drill with some type of bit to penetrate the frozen ground.

7. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

I use a 18 volt hammer drill with a concrete bit, it works like a charm..Rob

Last edited: Dec 20, 2004
  8. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

We use a 3/8" steel rod sharpened on one end, and a small head welded onto the other end. Drive in with hammer, place marker in hole. If ground is frozen we pour water around pole, Pole is set for winter....

9. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

One word of advise make sure you know what your pounding your stakes in. One wrong missplaced could ruin the rest of your life. Ie ultility lines.It happens way more then youd think....Rob

10. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

We never set deeper than 6" and Ohio building code requires all electrical lines a minimum of 18" deep....

11. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Don't be fooled into thinking every contractor follows code. I've ripped up a cable merely driving across a school playground, depth about 1/2". Not a power line, but cable. It was supposed to be 18" too. Hitting a 220 line will kill you and throw you about 25 feet after. You have the possibility around lots to hit lines that are close to the surface feeding signs and lights, shoddy repairs because someone didn't want to do the proper digging. Being in paving for 20 years I've seen it many times. Do be careful.

12. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

In NJ you have to call NJ one call befor you dig and they mark the utlitys It free sevive takes 3 working days. I have cut Cable TV lines Edging beds.

13. Grn Mtn

Worrying about utility lines?!

Give me a break, your not going to hit a utility line pounding in a fiberglass snow marker up to 8" deep. Major utility IE power, water, sewer, gas are all 18" or deeper, and the subs that put them in do not cheat with these money making accounts. Plus one wrongful death suit and your all done. Also these utilities don't run along the edges of driveways. Now as far as cable and phone are concerned, yes these utilities are always very shallow, but who cares, I keep tools in the truck if I do cut one when DIGGING. Never have I heard of anyone splitting a wire with a 1/4" pole.

Why would you drill a hole first when you can just pound the marker in with my tool, it saves a lot of time, which is money.

14. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Well Roald,

Since I work for prob the largest single utility company in the U.S. I might know what im talking about on this subject. Here in Ohio if you even put a shovel in the ground to plant a tree its a law you must call O.U.P.S. . If you dont and you hit something you can be fined heavily, Yes even for phone and cable drops. You have no idea where the contractor put anything till its marked. I see it everyday some stupid homeowner "thinks" he knows where the utilities are and hits something. And you know what I make sure I bill them as much as I can. Serves them rite if they dont call and they hit the line then they pay its that simple. I once was hand digging around are lines trying to fig out what hit our lines and I found a sub placed a gas line 4 inches under the surface. So never assume anything. The biggest prob is when after the lines are placed the landscapers will lower the grade hence shallow lines.

As far the the death thing, if you called you prob wouldnt be dead now would you?

Anyways you arent going to pound a fiberglass rod into a hidden rock. Which we have allot of rocks here so I prefer the drill. Hey if it works for you Im glad.

Dude please dont take what i said to offense, It can be a real hard lesson to learn. Oh guys do your best not to bury the utilities boxes, and fire hydrants. I know its a stupid thing to say but it too happens allot....Rob

15. JustUsDe

JustUsDe Senior Member

Dont ever be so foolish to think everyone does things per code. I widened my driveway last year, I dug down 8 inches and struck the electric service for my neighbors home and ripped it out with my backhoe. Thats right I said an electric service only about 8 inches underground. Our homes are only 10 years old. Thank god I called Miss Utility and had everything marked.(free service by the way). I didn't have to pay a thing because one it was not marked and 2 it should of been at least 18inches according to code. The power company was scratching their heads trying to figure out why that service was even laid so far in my yard. It was way past the right of way. Just another story to show never assume anything and always call and have things located before you dig. It could save you lots of money and possibly your life.

Ray

16. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

You are correct Grn Mtn, I'm not going to hit one.

I too ruptured a black flexible gas line Rob, 4" deep in a flower bed at my home. It was 2 feet off the driveway. Previous owner did tons of stupid crap like that including using 2 pair phone wire in electrical boxes as extensions on the outlet, also extension cord to do the same. To reiterate, In my 20 years of paving I've seen lots of wires placed where they shouldn't be found and could be hit by putting in plow markers. I also worked in fencing and saw the same problems. Chances are you won't hit something, but it can and does happen.

Maybe the company that built your accounts did it right but the crew who came and did a repair may not have. We're just saying this to help you avoid problems and keep you safe Roald, not to try and prove anything else.

BTW I think your tool is a good idea and hope you're able to sell a lot. They sould similar to what we used in fencing. I bet they work great, as hitting those stakes with a mallet just makes them wobble around if the ground is hard.