1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4" Exhaust

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by J&JProperty, Mar 4, 2003.

1. J&JProperty

J&JProperty Member

I'm looking into some minor mods for my 99 SD powerstroke, how much performance increase would I get with a 4" exhaust, or how about a chip and 4" exhaust.

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

The exhaust doesn't really add too much in the line of HP.It may add a few,but it's main benefit is lower EGT's,along with the sound,and looks.Another thing you can do is look at a high flow air filter or a complete air intake kit.Again,just a few HP,but much better filtering and lower EGT's

A chip will help in the HP department.There are a lot of companies making chips,so shop around and find out what you want.A chip will make from 50-150 HP depending on what chip you use.Most entry level chips are 50-75 HP with no other modifications.

I would also look at getting some gauges before you get into any major mods,to make sure your not doing any damage.

3. J&JProperty

J&JProperty Member

wyldman,

I'm planning on getting the gauges - EGT, Trans, and boost. The main reason for the exhaust is the lower egt's, especially when plowing or towing. I was looking at the chip to get some extra HP and torque, as well as firmer shifts.

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

We did a PSD a few weeks ago with a western diesel chip and air box kit,and a Banks 4" monster exhaust.It was a nice combo,good power increase,and no noticable increase in EGT's.The customer is towing a big 5th wheel with it and is quite impressed.If your towing,the western diesel stuff is pretty good for the money.

We also upgraded the entire fuel system as he was having problem with the quick connects sucking air.Might be something else to check out on your truck.

5. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

Chris,

That "air" in the fuel system stuff is a bunch of crap IMHO! Some people on a few websites believe that it and the basic fuel system design, is the cause of "cackle" and a restriction to higher Horsepower, and proceeded to turn their engine compartments into a bowl of spaghetti!! I applaude those you did the research and the work, but it is NOT the cause of the problem! Those mods only mask the root problem. The root problem lies in the injectors themselves and how they fill, or rather, not fill properly with fuel.

I have been involved as a beta tester for 2 years for a gentleman who has fixed the problem. His product will be available shortly. My truck "cackled" worse than any other PSD I ever heard. Had absolutly no real "power" from 1500-2000 rpm. The truck is now smooth as glass, quiet, has tons of torque(700 ft/lbs.), and puts down over 350 RWHP with NO CHIP. That is with the stock fuel system and stock fuel tank pick-up! With a custom tuned chip, I'm over 450 RWHP and getting higher, all on #2 only(no drugs).

Just my $0.02:D

J&J,

A relativly inexpensive(about $280) 4" Cat-Back exhaust and free flow muffler will lower your EGT's by 100-200 degrees alone. Like Chris said though, you won't notice much of a power increase. I can also highly recommend Dennis Perry at TS Performance for a chip! Make sure you do gauges first though!

Greg

6. River Hill

River Hill Senior Member

Greg,

Are you telling me I did my tank mods for nothing? I have superchips tuner on the Excursion and waiting to see what I want to do with the 350. I knew you had to be running one of Dennis's chips. I heard he's doing the the stuff for David Lott, but I think only a few know the turth to that. I actually was going to do the tank mods on my 350 this weekend as I already did the Excursion. I guess I looked at it as a insurance thing, since I didn't notice much difference.

7. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

River Hill,

If it were me, I wouldn't bother. But everyone has to do what they feel is best;) Like you said, you didn't notice much on your X. From what I know, regardless of how much "air" you try to remove from the fuel system, the injectors are still going to wear out and cackle eventually because they still won't be filling properly.;)

Greg

8. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Im no PSD expert,but Greg is definetely onto something.he has one of the strongest PSD's on #2 alone Ive evern heard of. A PSD over 425 on #2 is a rarity . Greg knows his stuff.

9. River Hill

River Hill Senior Member

I am sure Greg knows his stuff and I am sure he will pass the injector iformation on to us when he can:D

10. wyldman

wyldman Member

The air leak we fixed was causing a stumble and lack of power at times.Couldn't find anything else wrong,but that.We used a piece of clear fuel line to verify there was air getting in,and there was,lots of it.Customer said just redo everything so he wouldn't have to worry about it.

I really didn't think it would solve the cackle problem.I read a lot of postings about it.

11. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

I have a Banks Monster 4" exhaust with down pipe, custom 100+hp TS Performance chip (Dennis it the man!!!) and airrad intake on my 99, it ran 16.5 @ 87 mph in the 1/4 mile. This is with a 6 spd handshaker in a 8,200 lbs 4X4 SC, dually. I have basically the same set-up in the 03, that is the funnest truck that I have ever plowed with. A guy shouldn't be able to have this much fun without his girl ;) :D. But like Dockboy said, take a look at TS Performance for your chip, Dennis Perry is a god with diesels.