1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4 door short box 3/4 ton for 8 ft plow and a slip in salter...which truck can do it?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by rampking, Jun 12, 2012.

1. rampking

rampking Junior Member

Well this is what I need, I 've been looking for a truck for the past month and am getting different opinions so this is what's need from the new truck. Which brand is going to be able to do it best?
    I must have all these things, 4 door because I have children, short box for the plowing, salter and plow for obvious reasons.

2. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

If you can get a 1 ton the springs will hold the weight better. I have a 3/4 ton shortbox four door dodge and i like it and the fords are good trucks also.
  3. rampking

rampking Junior Member

I'd love a 1 ton, but they are hard to find at a half decent price. Do you run a slipp in salter and plow on your dodge? Got any pics?
  4. R.G.PEEL

R.G.PEEL 2000 Club Member
    from Toronto

I have a 4 door short box chev 3/4 ton. Great truck, plows well, but I wouldn't dream of putting a salter as well. Its physically possible yes, but very illegal and not enough truck to handle it safely. Find a 1 ton. The shortboxes are a bit rare, but they exist and they aren't all that much different in price. Then you get the gearing, breaks, and springs to do it right.
  5. grf_1000

grf_1000 Senior Member

i have a 3/4 ton duramax, 8'2" boss v and a 1 yard spreader in the rear. timbrens on the rear and sumo's on the front. great set up.
  6. mpgall26

mpgall26 Senior Member

1 of mine is a Chevy 2500HD with 8"fisher with wings and backdrag. I put a salt dogg sphe750 in which is lightweight poly, move it myself, and holds 3/4 yd. Works well for small sites and the truck does well, and stays legal. Bigger spreaders are for trucks like my 1 ton flatbed, but thats not meant to be a family truck its a beast and a pain in the ass with medical cards, commercial inspections, safety equip, etc. Stay under 10K GVW when you buy if you can, it makes life easy, unless you need a bigger truck.
  7. cjyardandsnow

cjyardandsnow Junior Member

2003 and older fords solid front ends with leafsprings. Snow plow prep pack No cv shafts to brake can handle weight i have 2001 f-350 7.3 diesel with 9.5 ft hiniker vf v plow. And run 8 ft spreader and have a liquid system putting on this year i have all ford diesels that are 02 and older with v plows never had issue only bad thing is short bok is 7 ft so there long
  8. wewille

wewille Senior Member

Purchase the one where you can get the best deal.
  9. fatheadon1

fatheadon1 Senior Member