1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4-door 2500HD Silverado not warrantied for plow use??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by vi009dz, Feb 11, 2008.

1. vi009dz

vi009dz Member

A friend of mine went to special order a new 2500HD, 4-door rig this past week, and was told by the local salesman that GM will not warranty a 4-door truck once you put a plow on, because they have been seeing trucks come in with the roofline buckled due to hard plowing. It was only on the 4-door crew cab trucks, not extra cabs, and not regular cabs. Only the 4 door with a longer cabin area, and longer roofline / floorpans, etc.

Is this a salesman talking out of his butt, or is this a real life problem that GM is seeing?

If it is real, do any other manufacturers have similar issues??

2. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

I think it is the diesel crew cabs. Also the 1/2 ton extended cabs will void the warranty with plow contacted four dealers one said it wounldn't void the warranty but he wounldn't put that in writing.

3. trevier

trevier Senior Member

This is my second season plowing with a 2007 chevy 1500 extended cab,with a 7.5 boss super trip edge,I have'nt had 1 problem yet and that's doing 30 stops,hope that helps matt

4. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

No manufacturer can not warranty a truck with a plow on it. However if a warranty claim is found to be caused from a plow being installed, then GM might not warranty that particular claim. They cannot void your entire warranty.

5. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

Yes you can get a plow warranty on a CC. Its a extended plan that covers the CC w/plows. Have read on other sites where guys have purchased this warranty. Hope this helps

6. LHK2

LHK2 Senior Member

I have a crew cab diesel, with a 8'2 poly boss v, third year plowing. No problems. If your a moron and hitting things, then you may bend and break things

7. harley hauler

harley hauler Senior Member

Last edited: Feb 17, 2008
  8. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Well said........

9. jkitterman

jkitterman Senior Member

They can void the warranty if they consider it abuse by you being over GVWR or GAWR or as racing does.

10. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Your telling us your taking the word of a sales man :p BWAhahahahah. Nope - he is wrong. The previous posts summarize well. If it is rated, they manufacture a plow and the damage is not abuse - your fine.

11. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

By law, they have to prove the problem was caused by being over weight or directly caused by the plow. Then they can deny that particular claim but they cannot void your entire warranty, its the law. If you don't believe me then contact a lawyer or call the manufacturer. But do not take a salesman or service department employee's word.

12. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

this here is exactly it. i have a buddy who works for GM. they cannot void any part of your warranty on regular cab trucks of any size. 1500 ext cab and crew cabs can be partially voided if the damage is caused by plowing. 2500 and 3500 crewcabsd are also like this. if you beat the piss out of it it can acutally bend the frame they say. so basically be careful

but it wont void your warranty by putting on a plow. it just doesn't cover any damage acquired by plowing. the only vehicles that are completely covered are reg cabs b/c they say they are made to plow with. idk if its true. but ive heard many a story from my buddy of people bringing in crew cab trucks with rippled roofs. and they put it on the lift and the frame is bent.

so just be careful is all.

13. MnDLawn

MnDLawn Senior Member

Well that is never good to hear. I would look into a different truck if they actually do bend. Imagine after a few years of hard use. Warranty's are hard enough to deal with.

14. Kingwinter

Kingwinter Senior Member

ripped roofs? Maybe they should stop making them out of tin foil :D

15. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

I purchased a 2008 allison/duramax in december . The reg. cab was the only diesel that gm would plow prep. They claim that the additional plow weight combined with diesel & allison would kill the front axle in no time at all, on the extended chassis trucks?

16. harley hauler

harley hauler Senior Member

dealership by my house has a nbs cc dmax w/ a plow prep package dual alts dual batts skid plates hd trans cooler listed on window sticker as plow prep package. My cc gasser has a plow prep package on it.

17. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

Dealer told me this pertained to the diesels only? I was thinking about buying a reg cab anyway as my last 2 new pickups were extended cabs and i ready for a change.