1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4 Cyl Auto Toyata X Cab Info Needed.

Discussion in 'Import and Other Trucks (Light Duty)' started by GSORK, Dec 28, 2003.

1. GSORK

GSORK Senior Member

Does anyone use this type of truck for snowplowing? What are your like's and dislikes?. How Does it perform? MPG W/Out plow? Year ? Do you just use it for personal or commercial plowing. Thinking of getting one for next season
    Thank's Gary

2. t4dodge

t4dodge Member

>>>Does anyone use this type of truck for snowplowing?
    Yes, 1999 Tacoma X-Cab, Auto, 4.10 gearing, 31x10.5 tires

>>>What are your like's
    Good for tight areas...

>>>and dislikes?
    Not good for open parking lots due to small blade...

>>>How Does it perform? MPG W/Out plow?
    I would highly recommend the 3.4V6... The 2.7 four is just as strong as the older 3.0V6, but still - the extra power can't hurt...

>>>Do you just use it for personal or commercial plowing.
    99% Residential driveways, 1% commercial lot in trade for free fill-up of gas on each push...

>>>Thinking of getting one for next season
    Good thinking...

>>>Thank's Gary
    Your welcome!, John

3. badranman

badranman Senior Member

I used an '89 4runner for a few years. It had the 22r motor but was a standard. Did only residentials. Agree with t4dodge, great for tight areas but has no power/weight for the heavy stuff. I found the backend really light. No problem to do on the spot 360's in 2wd in snow. Had to chuck some weight in the old gal. Anyway, I'd do it, go have some fun.:nod:

4. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Had 88 4 runner std. 4 cyl. Plowed commercial with 7' blade. Never broke a thing. She was a good pusher. Use low range all the time, narrow high profile tires, Drive it like you can't afford to break it and you will be fine. A man can move a mountain of snow with a shovel if he takes his time, and will neither break his shovel or his back.

5. pjaln

pjaln Junior Member
    from mass.

i have a toyota 01 xtra cab 4cyl. 5 speed and i think the stick is the way to go with this type of truck especially with the 4cyl.my plow is a new fisher mm 6foot 8 ld. the plow weight is about 500 pounds i have timbrens in the front . the first and just about only snow in boston so far this year was that 28 inch storm so the trucks first storm was a workout it drives excellent with the plow on the truck even going down the highway at 60 the temp gauge does not move from normal. outside of that 28 incher which rarely happen i think this truck is a winner. paul

6. Aquatek

Aquatek Junior Member
    from Sweden

I'm plowing in Sweden & use a Toyota Hilux with modified (6" extra on each side) Meyer plow to good effect. Low ratio & i've had no problems as long as you don't get TOO ambitious, we have a Chevy for the tough stuff ;) I'm also adding a Meyer Mate next Friday, anyone got any views on this spreader? i hope i made the right decision.
    John.

toyota.jpg

Last edited: Jan 27, 2004
  7. newengland6

newengland6 Junior Member

How did you get the ld fisher on your excab. I want to the local dealing and he told me, they only put them on reg cabs. excab and doubleCab only get the Homesteader.

Did anyone do any modification to their trucks for plowing. Suspension, engine, transmission. I am thinking about have level 10 do my valve body. Think that will necessary?? I am also going to put King coilovers on the front to compensate for the added wieght of the plow. They will also give me a better all around ride from what a gather reading theads on tacoma territory (ttora.com).

8. Aquatek

Aquatek Junior Member
    from Sweden

Got the Meyer Mate & it works really well for me, next thing is Firestone air suspension .... booked in on the first of next month for that :)

John Steele.

9. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

Does anyone use this type of truck for snowplowing? What are your like's and dislikes?. How Does it perform? MPG W/Out plow? Year ? Do you just use it for personal or commercial plowing. Thinking of getting one for next season
    Thank's Gary

Hi Gary,

I'm in Westfield.

I got a 2000 Tacoma with a 6.5 fisher. It works great...even with the 2.7 L engine. Keep it in low and use your head and it will do the job. Its a little low (23" I think) so pushing fast without a foil on top really blasts the windshield with spray.

I'd suggest good tires most of all and don't try to push 15" all at once. That said, 20mpg without the plow and never calculated with it. The 6 cyl would be a plus but not necessary for residential use.

Not the best for really wet deep snow (maybe 6-8") but easily handles a foot or slightly more of dry stuff. The LD plow is great for residential...maybe small parking lots but for large commercial, I'd get a truck with at least a 7.5 ft blade. I used to do commercial with a chevy and an 8' Fisher---worked great, but a real gas hog.

The tacoma is great on driveways and in tight spots. Also, it pushes more than I thought it would. Good luck in your choice! :drinkup:

10. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

ran an 1984 for 7 years before it broke in half , have a 1986 run the hell out of it. Actually its the truck I put newbies in , they cant break it . Both were 22r engines stick shift. I use them on commercial , they do well and they are great for sidewalks , and tight areas .