1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4 cyclinder vs 6 cyclinder?

Discussion in 'Import and Other Trucks (Light Duty)' started by ToyotaPower, Mar 31, 2003.

1. ToyotaPower

ToyotaPower Senior Member

Which is better to plow with a 4 cylinder or a 6 cylinder Toyota pick-up. The V6 engine has 50 more Horsepower and is 86lbs heavier.

I was talking to a member and he stated to me that the extra weight of the engine in the V6 would cause harm to the front end when hanging a 6 1/2 foot plow. :waving:

I am trying to decide in buying a 4 cylinder or a V6?:confused:
  2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Both engines are well suited for the Toyota truck. The v6 was added really to power the 4Runner at highway speeds. I added a header and exhaust to my my 4 cylinder and cruise along fine.

My opinion is that the 4 cylinder is better suited for plowing. Although it makes less horsepower and torque, the range where the power is made is lower and thus better for plowing. The 4 cylinder Toyotas are simple and strong motors. They make plenty of power when set up with the right tires and weight to move a lot of snow.
  3. mud_man93

mud_man93 Member
    from maine

i would also recommend the 4 cylinder i have the 2.7 in mine and that is one heck of a motor i have towed way more than the recommended weight with it. it is great off road i have beaten the ***** out of that truck and it still runs great. when i was thinking of putting a plow on mine i talked to my sales man and he has a 6 1/2 foot fisher on his v6. the only thing that i can remember being that noticeable between the 4 and 6 was the 6 pulled more more at red line.

what ever one you get i recommend getting a K&N air-filter, synthetic oil and some good 235 or 31'' tires the stock 225 don't cut it