1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4 beam yellow rotating lite

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by db27, Aug 20, 2006.

1. db27

db27 Member

looking for a large 4 sealed beam rotating yellow beacon lite like I remember as a kid that were on wreckers and older trucks.I think they were 12 or so inches across .I dont like the fancy new strobes or those lite bars.
    Do they still make them:confused:
  2. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

3. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

I got a blue lens that will fit one.
  4. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

Im sorry, I was at an auction about a week and a half ago. There was a whole pallet of those, maybe 30. went for like 125 bucks. Would have bought them if i new some one was looking for them, lol. But if you search ebay you should ba able to find one...Some one said Awdirect. they should have them too.
  5. J & B Lawncare

J & B Lawncare Member

Love the old sealed beams

Can't beat them for snow work. I think they help locate your vehicle in the strom. Just not just out there flashing, I have a 4 bulb in the basement that I looking for a wmber dome for.

Good luck.

J & B
  6. db27

db27 Member

4 sealed beam beacon

I checked awdirect.com and they dont have them just the modern flashy stuff :dizzy:
    Thanks anyway
    I will keep looking
  7. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

4 bulb

Are you talking about the old style grote 4 bulb i got like 4 left and a dual rotor bar in dads shop give me a pm i will take some pics. I think i got one still in the box... Took some time to find some old pics is this what you need ? Eric....

4 bulb (Medium).jpg
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2006
  8. db27

db27 Member

yellow rotating lite

Tried to pm you but im blocked or something.Thats the light I am looking for in the far right of the picture.4 beams and large mabey 12'' or so and yellow.
    My e mail is db27@localnet.com
  9. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

i really like them old big slow lights theyre pretty cool to look at
  10. fernalddude

db check your mail or i will send a e-mail to ya...:waving:
  11. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

The one on the right is a two beam. I have at least one of those two beams that works and maybe parts from an old one that could be used to convert it to a four beam. If you strike out completely let me know I would be willing to part with it.

Word of caution though they consume a lot of power! I can remember having troubles with the batteries on two different one tons that I owned and that was when all of the pumps were belt driven. With the electric driven hydraulics of todays modern vehicles I think you may find yourself haveing troubles unless you upgrade your alternator to very high AMP rating.
  12. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

13. fernalddude

Big Dog yep that is right that pic is over 15 years old but i still have them and all you need is to add the bulbs to make it a 4 bulb and they do use tons of power.
  14. LON

LON Senior Member

15. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Dont forget the fact that the new light bars (even though only 2 rotators) have mirrors in them. You're going to get just as much if not more (depending on if its a diagonal or diamond mirror). Online videos dont do light bars justice to me. I'd like a get a Code 3 excalibur with 4 rotators but I think they draw way too much juice to use while plowing.
  16. timm9

timm9 Senior Member

The Grote 4 beam 10" Beacon is still available (as well as parts) and it pulls about 30 amps. I have them on all my stuff.
  17. fernalddude

Old school------ Its not about the bright or the flash pattern its about the look. Back in the day (lol) when the snow plow truck came down your street and your a kid you jump out of bed to see the flash- flash- flash of that big yellow beam coming into the window knowing that school is canceled and you got a free day. You get to just be a kid with no pressure adults took it in stride and got to spend some time at home, people built forts played in the snow made a fire and just hung out. Checked on the neighbors and made the best out of a bad day. Now its get that cr*p out of my way I got some place to be I'm important and that plow rig should have been out sooner not knowing how cost management effects us contractors. Now we are the bad guy because we did not get the job done faster. Not knowing the the firm has not called us out till the last minute.So give me that time of that old slow big lite going flash-flash-flash and the sound of that cutting edge crunch-crunch again instead of ,everybody has to be first ,where are you thing.Old school beat better,faster,cheaper....My 2 cents....