1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4.8L or 5.3L

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by BigD84, Jun 28, 2011.

1. BigD84

BigD84 Junior Member

Im trying to get some input on these. Which is better or they about the same? Id like to put a 7.5 blade on, and will be towing a boat trailer and snowmobile trailer. What do you guys recommend? Ive read that a lot of people say that a 4.8L will do just fine, but if you ahve the money get the 5.3L.

2. Squires

Squires Senior Member

both will do the job, but the 5.3 will get better milage in the long run, not working as hard.
    depending on the year you also have the 6 speed auto with the 5.3.
    My truck just rolled 10,000km's recently which im told is when the fuel milage numbers should start to get better, on an 80/20 highway to city tank recently i got 740km's on 88L of fuel which i don't figure is too bad all things considered.
    My dad has a same year 4.8 and they don't tow anything with it, just quad or sled in the back, he gets pretty decent milage comparable to me which brings in the driving habit aspect into the milage. I will tell you tho that the 5.3 will hold a gear on cruse control longer than the 4.8.

Neither one of us has ever kept one long enough to tell you about longevity of either.

3. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

Both motors are almost identical. The 5.3L will pull a little better when it comes to climbing a hill. Go with whichever one that comes with a better truck (less miles, no rust, better options, your favorite color, etc).

4. ajman21

ajman21 Senior Member

mines a 4.8 and it pushes fine still with 126xxx miles beyond that i dont know but still sounds like any new truck i go near. had a small problem with power steer pumps at 110xxx but i blame it on a junk part from autozone / delco

5. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I have the 4.8 in my 2002 Chevy 1500. It has realy good power and is pretty "peppy." I have only driven a truck with a 5.3 a few times so, I can't realy compare the two. Both are great engines and you can't go wrong with either one.