1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4.8 turbo/cam mods?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 78K20, May 19, 2008.

1. 78K20

78K20 Member
    from WV

I have an 06 silverado shortbed with 30K miles, a 4.8 auto, 6-inch lift, 35 inch tires and 4.10 gears. I already have headers and upgraded coils. in the quest for more power :), I would like to do a cam swap to a mild cam maybe the LS6 cam? Anyway I would like to get an STS remote turbo also with the cam swap. The turbo comes with a tune and bigger injectors. My question is can i tune this myself with both mods or do I have to take it somewhere to get it custom tuned? Also will the 4l60E hold up to this? Ive heard mixed ratings on it, should I swap a 4l80E in place of it if it goes out, or is this a bad idea? Sorry for the long post, any suggestions are greatly appreciated

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

What kind of budget are you working with in order to do these upgrades?

How much boost....and ultimately power are you looking for?

The little 4.8's can make some good power for their displacement...especially with forced induction. And it can be done with the stock heads so that helps in the finance department. A cam swap in addition to the turbo is money well spent.

Who's turbo kit are you looking at? Most kits that come with a "tune" include either a piggy back for the stock ECM or a new replacement tuned ECM. But to get it really tuned correctly you'll want a chassis dyno and a guy that knows how to fine tune a program. An incorrect timing/fuel/boost mistake in the programming can create a dumptser full of junk parts in a hurry.

The 4L60E currently in your truck could be made to handle the power but it will require several internal upgrades and blueprinting to do it. But it would still be substantially less expensive than a 4L80E swap.

The next weak link will be the 8.6 10 bolt rear diff. Running the 35's is stressing it already...adding a hundred more horsepower will put it over the line for sure if your planing on pounding it....which is the whole intended purpose of a buildup such as this correct? :nod:

3. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

go and get a 2500hd diesel with the hight output package LBZ engine option. you can thank me later

4. 78K20

78K20 Member
    from WV

So i priced that Squires Turbo remote mount turbo kit for $5995....holy s*** i was thinkin like 3k and thats overpriced enough, i already swapped the gears and lifted it myself but i cant justify that, might as well trade it on a Duramax, That remote turbo is pretty sweet, go on youtube and type in turbo silverado there are a bunch of vids, thats what made me want one, Maybe just the cam swap for now, but i really think im gonna start looking to get a crewcab, i need more room anyway with the standard cab. thanks for the input :drinkup:

5. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

and then think of all the money youll save by not having to upgrade to heavy duty parts. lol

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If your not going to do anything else, don't bother with the cam swap as it's a waste of money by itself.

If you want to really wake it up for the same cost as a cam...and with no work, spend the cam money on a custom tune.

You'll be pleasantly surprised at the power difference..to say the least. :nod:

7. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Yep, B&B talked me into the custom tune. It will be done hopefully next month. I am going thru Nelson's Performance. I will be adding a cold air intake, throttle body spacer, adding duals instead of the single outlet flowmaster. Hopefully that will add some giddy up to it, LOL:D Thing already hauls ass and a trailer stock. It is a 2000 2500 6.0