1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4.8 or 5.3?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 78K20, Apr 13, 2008.

1. 78K20

78K20 Member
    from WV

I am looking into buying a standard cab shortbed truck about an 04' and up. I have talked to alot of people with different opinions on which engine to get. I want an auto but if it was a standard at a good price I would consider it. I am not goin to do alot of towing but I would like to lift the truck a little and maybe run 33's. I was also wondering what gear options are there for these trucks. Also I hear people say the get around 20 mpg with the 4.8 if so that would be great cuz right now I have a jeep cherokee with a 5 speed and 3.07 gears with no power and I get around 17. Thanks for any help :)

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The 4.8 in a reg cab short bed runs pretty good...but if you want all the power you can and your already considering larger tires, go with the 5.3. Mileage isn't much different between the two in that application.

Gear ratio options are available for the 1/2 ton 8.6 10 bolt rear as well as the 8.2 corporate front diff if you consider a gear swap at a later date. 3.42, 3.73, 4.10, 4.56's are all available in the aftermarket.

3. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

5.3L. better for lifts. better for plowing.

4. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

motor

i think a 5.7 at least and 3:73 gear .their is not much resale on the 4.8 .wesport

5. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

I have the 4.8 and it has good power, I have pulled and hauled alot of heavy loads with it. The engine is usually never the problem, its stopping! lol but if you are going to plow?? you might want the 5.3

6. KTM

KTM Junior Member

My wife has had both, and unless your real light with your foot the 4.8 gets worse MPG. When ever we are in heavy traffic on the interstate it does real bad compared to the 5.3., these are extended cabs though. she had a 4.8 2wd for a company car for awhile and that got great MPG and way more power than the 4wd 4.8 that she has now. if it was a manual tranny in the 4.8 (chevy never offered 5.3 manual) I bet it would be better.