1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4.6 v-6

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by dany, Oct 21, 2003.

1. dany

dany Member

Iam about to put a 4.6 v-6 in a 87 samaria and i was just wondering how much power and torque these motors are pushing. The motor is throtle body. Are there any sites that list specs of chevy's motors?

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

If it's a regular TBI,they are usually 140 HP,230 Ft\Lbs.

3. ZR2DK

ZR2DK Junior Member

is it possibly a 4.3L v-6 out of an S-10 or Sonoma? If so, check out www.s10forum.com that should help.

4. dany

dany Member

That is exactly what the transplant vehical will be.

5. ZR2DK

ZR2DK Junior Member

What year truck is the motor from?

6. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

im thinking 185 hp

4.3l

cardoctor

7. ZR2DK

ZR2DK Junior Member

check the 8th digit of the vin number on the truck...let me know what it is and what year the truck is and I'll be able to tell you the #'s. The 4.3 #'s jumped around a bit depending on what type of injection you have.

8. wyldman

wyldman Member

They didn't have anything above 145 HP in TBI.Have to go to central injected Vortec to get more than 145 HP.

9. ZR2DK

ZR2DK Junior Member

92 had 160hp/235torque 93 had 5 morehorses same torque and then the last few tbi's of 95 had 150hp.

No offense to anyone on this board, but that information i just gave is from S10forum.com Those guys deal with these engines day after day. They would be the ones to ask. I have a newer 4.3 (2000) so I dont "know" TBI.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2003
  10. wyldman

wyldman Member

You are correct.

Most Z code TBI motors were 145 HP @ 4000 RPM,and 230 Ft\Lbs @ 2400 RPM.

Some later Z codes (92-up) got up to 160 HP @ 4000 RPM,and 230 Ft\Lbs @ 2800 RPM.

They also made a B code 4.3 rated at 170 HP,but I don't think it was avaliable in a S10\15 or Jimmy\Blazer.

Only 4.3L that were higher than that were the W code CPI motors,and the Syclone,Typhoon turbo versions.

11. ZR2DK

ZR2DK Junior Member

Wyldman, you must have every spec of every truck ever built stored away in your brain. Or you have extremely quick access to a lot of manuals and books. Either way, I am 110% impressed with your knowledge/ability to regurgitate the info on command. :salute:

4.3 is a good motor. Ive heard it described many times as a "350 with 2 cylinders chopped off". If you keep it maintained, it will last you a long time. I know people with 300k on their 4.3...I hope mine makes it that far.

12. wyldman

wyldman Member

Only some of it is memorized,the rest I can pull out of most of the manuals and spec books we have here at the shop,or the computer.I'd memorize it all if I could,just don't have the time. :D

So if you ever need specs or info for anything,just ask.

The 4.3L is a good motor.It is basically a regular small block 350 with two cylinder chopped off.They had some rod bearing problems early on,but they have been rectified.The only thing I don't like is they don't run very smooth.

13. ZR2DK

ZR2DK Junior Member

I drove a 2.2l 4-banger S-10 before I got my ZR2, so Im sure you can understand that I am more than happy with the 4.3. I agree its not the smoothest idleing engine GM ever made, but I just keep telling myself "its not a beamer, its not a beamer, its not a beamer..." Thats what usually gets me through my day of squeaks, creaks, and other goofy-as-hell noises coming from my truck. *sigh*, but I still love her even if she doesnt have a plow (yet!)