1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4.6 Tuner

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by White Gardens, Dec 17, 2011.

1. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Anybody have a 4.6 Triton, and have put a tuner on it?

Thinking about buying an 05 F-150 XLT, 4 door and 4wd. Heck of a price but the only drawback is it has the 4.6 and not the 5.4 that I was looking for.

From my research, it seems like there is definitively a small bit of power difference, but not a huge difference.

So ultimately, if I want to try and use a tuner on the 4.6, would that give me just a bit more boost out of the engine, or is it not worth it.

2. White Gardens

3. jhenegh

jhenegh Member
    from Indiana

I put a basic Superchip Flashpaq in my '99 4.6 5-speed last fall. My man reason was to recalibrate for new differential gears and that was the cheapest route. Its got stock, fuel saver, 87 performance, and 93 performance. Honestly, I'm not sure I can feel anything. I had it on the fuel saver for a month or two, didn't see any difference. I've kept it on 87 performance since. Never tried the 93. A better tune package would probably have better results, but I found the custom tunes to be $400-500+ and that wasn't worth it to me. I can still pull 7000 lbs with the 4.6 and it hasn't held me back any. The standard tranny helps in that department though. I've never driven a 4.6 auto, but it seems like it could be doggy. It's never held me back, it's just not fast.
  4. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

I’ve had about every 4.6 and 5.4 liter engine that Ford has offered in my ’97, ’99, ’02, ’05 and now ’10 F-150 4x4’s. The original 1997 4.6 was pretty much a dog, but ran forever. My favorite truck for get up and go was my ’99 with 5.4 (PI heads). The thing just flat out flew.

The biggest things that Ford did for the 4.6 was going to 3 valve heads and mating it with the new 6 speed automatic – which I just happen to have right now. If I were forced to plow with a 4.6, this would be the absolute only combination I would want. The truck is actually faster than my ’05 with the 5.4 / 4 speed and tows my boat equally well.

As for tuners really waking the 2 valve 4.6 with a 4 speed up, I think you’re going to find that particular combination fairly marginal no matter what you do with it – unless you’re just doing a few driveways.
  5. White Gardens

Overall the truck will do what I need it to do which is light towing 85% of the time with the occasional heavier load.

I wanted to hold out on a 5.4, but this truck fell into my lap, and was a heck of a deal considering how much used trucks are going for these days [​IMG], so it was something I couldn't pass up. I needed to replace the S-10 that had 220,000 miles on the clock, and though the 4.3 in it had plenty of power, the truck was too small for any real towing.

I also have my C3500HD with an 8.1, so If I need the extra truck/power, then I have that to do the job.

Thanks for the replies, I just thought a tuner might help out a bit for those occasional heavier tows.

Even if I put a plow on it, it will be a driveway rig with the occasional small commercial lot. As business expands and I need another truck, I will lean towards a 3/4ton of sorts.