1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4.5 Yard smith salt spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by mrsops, Dec 28, 2009.

1. mrsops

mrsops Senior Member

Bought this spreader last year its been a pleasure.. smith stainless steel salt spreader all electric NO GAS!! I'm done with the gas spreaders never again to many problems

raffy 008.jpg

raffy 003.jpg

raffy 005.jpg

raffy 007.jpg

raffy 058.jpg
  2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Looks very nice. How do you find the rate adjustment. Can you really put it on heavy when you need to. Also do you ever notice battery drain on large lots?
  3. mrsops

mrsops Senior Member

Dave the most i put in was 5 yards of salt it was crowned of course but the truck was heavy. I dont notice much battry drain when salting either. I must say its very quiet with the electic set up.
  4. rdbpower

rdbpower Junior Member

What did that set you back? Then is your dump electric? Im looking for the same thing you have for a fl 70 with a 16' contractors dump.
  5. mrsops

mrsops Senior Member

A little over 11,000 well worth it thou.. Know my dump truck is hydraulic. This set up gets hooked up to the alternator and batteries of the truck. Contractor bodies come in handy like no other.
  6. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Sweet Rig :nod:
    Do the Smiths have an adjustable spinner and chain speed on the controller ? Or just on/off ?
  7. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

pretty sure just on and off. I have two stainless smiths and they are great
  8. mrsops

mrsops Senior Member

This one has the adjustment i did pay a more money to get it that way.
  9. mrsops

mrsops Senior Member

Columbia i have the adjustment on mine..
  10. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

I've got an old 1.5 yard electric right now. You are right they work great. I assume yours is dual electric?
  11. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

I have a truck for you. if you are interested PM me
  12. threeleaf

threeleaf Senior Member

Why didnt you go with a hydo unit since you have a hydro dump bed?
  13. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

Thats what i would have done and I own 2 electric V boxes. They are nice and I never will go back to gas but for a big unit hydraulics is the way to go
  14. mrsops

mrsops Senior Member

They told me the hydro spreader was something like 15,000?
  15. threeleaf

threeleaf Senior Member

wow thats high.. we have a 6 yard warren hydro on our kenworth hooklift and i think it was around 11k with the reworking for the valves and the controls
    we also have a 3.5 yard tarco hydro on our f550 hooklift and it was around 6k plus valves and controls..
    i have never had a electric spreader im not sure what the pros and cons are
  16. mrsops

mrsops Senior Member

Threeleaf i have a 2 yard monroe hydro on my ford super duty dump.. They hydro works real nice.. I do remember the hydro being more then the electric maybe thats why i went with electric this time.
  17. threeleaf

threeleaf Senior Member

i really like the way the cute flips up . how long does it take to flip up
  18. mrsops

mrsops Senior Member

About a minute :laughing:
  19. threeleaf

threeleaf Senior Member

wow its a quicky:D
  20. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

is yours a tan colored box with the dual controls on it? and does it have the big junction box that everything gets wired into that goes under the hood? ..if so....have you gotten much use out of it, has it been reliable?
    PS i see yours has the real high inverted V...i've been saying i need to lower it for a year now :)