1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4*4 engagement problem

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by mcwlandscaping, Dec 23, 2006.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

i know this is posted elsewhere but want it fixed asap....

last night i was testing out the 4*4 engagement....here is what i found....the 4*4 high would feel like it went in but the light would not go to solid, it would just stay flashing and 4*4 woudlnt' engage at all......what could be the problem? This is in a 97 Chevy silverado 2500 push button selector
  2. all seasons

all seasons Member

in that system the problems could be numerous and way too complex to get it fixed by discussion on a forum, I would suggest that you check all the obvious things- ie: fuses, vacuum lines, electrical connectors and make sure nothing has come disconnected. If all looks good make an appointment asap at your dealer for the correct diagnostic procedure.
  3. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

If memory serves me and it might not that sounds like a 4x4 actuator, my wife used to derive a 95 tahoe and we had the same issue. The part is a screw in piece on the front diff, it will have a wire coming out and a little push rod on the other end it is the part that engages the front axle. To check it remove it and hit the button/lever to see if it moves. If not grab a test light and checkfor juice at the connector, if it lights up grab a new actuator. If not look at wiring/ switch / connections. I heard somewhere that 50 % of the time the connection at the actuator corrodes and needs cleaning or replacement but the part itslef rarely fails.
  4. bugthug

bugthug Senior Member
    from Pa

Was the truck moving ? if not try to move the truck a little bit My 98 would do the same thing once in a while.
  5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

yup, tried it moving and stationary, all the time the 4*4 high light just blinks, it is engaged because you can feel it but the indicator doesn't confirm it or allow me to go into 4*4 low
  6. jbrow1

jbrow1 Member

Same thing on my Mom's 96. Very simple to fix. Although the dealer would only sell me an updated part for quite a bit of dough. Got a new in package older style from the junkyard for like 50 bux.