1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4*4 engagement problem

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by mcwlandscaping, Dec 23, 2006.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

last night i was testing out the 4*4 engagement....here is what i found....the 4*4 high would feel like it went in but the light would not go to solid, it would just stay flashing and 4*4 woudlnt' engage at all......what could be the problem? This is in a 97 Chevy silverado 2500 push button selector

2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Check your fuses first. I have a 2000 silverado 2500 and also have the push button 4x4. It may be a fuse, relay, the switch itself is poop or the actuator on the front axle(located on the passenger side of the front axleshaft). Check into those things first before you go to a mechanic or anything. You may even be able to get a code out of the ecm, maybe. Im not to sure about the push button 4x4 but I figure this would be a good start.

3. mcwlandscaping

i couldn't find that actuator on the front axle....can you be anymore descriptive with its' location? I may have just been looking for the wrong thing, but, i couldn't find anything that looked like it would be it.

4. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

just put one in my buddys 94 he had the same problem really easy once you look up a picture of it or go to a parts store and ask for one you can lay unter the front end and youll see it

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Here's a pic. The red arrow is pointing to the end of the actuator.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2007
  6. mcwlandscaping

will try to head out to a parts store when i can and see what it is...hopefully that'll fix it! anyone know of how much this will run me? payup payup wise?

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Your '97 should have the updated electric style actuator rather than the old style thermo actuator so it should run you around $100 give or take.

8. mcwlandscaping

thank you....i dont know if this changes the diagnosis, but, it seems to engage into 4*4 high but the light doesn't seem to confirm it and just stays flashing, and this makes it so i can't go into 4*4 low at all.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

MCW, are you positive that you have 4hi? Did you try spinning the front tire's on some grass or loose shale to see if they're pulling?

10. mcwlandscaping

not wet grass, but, it was wet today, and you can feel the fronts pullin and the shakin when takin a corner.

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Ok, If you have 4hi then your actuator is probably good.Did you check the 4wd system for trouble code's? Do you know how to check it? If not I can walk you through it.

12. mcwlandscaping

not a clue how to check that!! I REALLY appreciate all the help!!

13. Stuffdeer

Stuffdeer Senior Member

B&B is a good guy Mike. He helped me fix my truck also!

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Ok,here's how to retrieve any codes that might be stored in the transfer case shift module, By the way this procedure will work on any push button 4WD OBS truck.First make sure your key is off for at least 10 second's. Now what you need to do is ground the no. 13 terminal in the 16 pin under dash diagnostic connector (the same one you'd use to plug a scanner in to read engine trouble code's) with a piece of wire. Terminal 13 will be 5th from the right on the bottom row of terminals.Next, turn the key to the run position (dont turn it all the way to start) and watch the indicator lights on your 4WD switch's. When you turn the key on all the indicator light's should blink once.The first blink is a test code,after the first blink if it continue's to blink,count how many time's it blink's. It'll be 1 through 4 NOT COUNTING THE FIRST TEST BLINK. After it blinks the code it will pause for 3 sec and then blink the code again.It will keep doing this until you disconnect the jumper wire.Be sure to turn the key off before disconnecting the jumper wire. Get back to me with the code you find (if any)and maybe I can help.

15. mcwlandscaping

will let you know of it tommarrow!! thank you SO much!!

16. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

any part store will code your truck for free just ask them

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

FYI, the scanner's that your local part's store's use will not pull 4X4 trouble code's,only engine trouble code's.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2006
  18. mcwlandscaping

I get zero flashes after the first "turn on light up". All the lights just turn off, then when i take off the ground, the 2wd light goes back on. Don't know what to do!! I don't think im doing anything wrong but that is always a possiblility.

19. DodgeRam1985

DodgeRam1985 Member
    from Ohio

I had a similar problem a few years ago, after spending a considerable amount in mechanics and dealerships, I simply made up my mind. I would never buy a truck again that had push button, turn knob, or any other form of elctronic engagement for the 4 wheel drive. Thank god Dodge has kept their floor lever engagement, but who knows where that will go in a few short years. Good luck to you, I wish I had more answers for you, but I eneded up selling my truck with a problem much like you are describing.

20. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Ok, that means there are no codes stored in the T-case shift module but that's not uncommon. Since you do have 4hi that tells me that your front axle actuator and it's wiring is good. But the fact that it wont shift into 4 low tell's me that either the encoder motor on the transfer case is going bad or the wiring going to it is the problem. I'd get under the truck and check the wiring harness (including grounds) leading to the encoder motor and if it all looks good I'd replace the encoder motor. 9 times out of 10 when you experience a problem with the push button 4X4 system's on these 95-98 GM trucks it's either the front axle actuator or the encoder motor on the T-case and since the axle engages in 4 hi it must be good.