1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

4.10 rear in 2002 chevy

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by dkscott, Jan 21, 2002.

1. dkscott

dkscott Junior Member

I just bought a new 2002 2500HD Chevy Truck with HD auto trans and 4.10 rear end. It has the 6000 motor (364 cubic inch). The truck was equipped with 245/16 tires. Will increasing my tire size to say 285/16 allow me to run at higher highway speeds with lower RPM's and thus increase my gas mileage ? Or would the effect be minimal;or even lower my gas mileage ?

Thanks for any imput !

Last edited: Jan 21, 2002
  2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

In your case you will notice a drop in power,and no increase in fuel economy,maybe a drop though.Your truck needs 4.10 gears,at the minimum,to cruise easily,by bringing your effective gearing down to 3.73,you will cause the engine to labor more,and the tranny to hunt much more on hills.The 6.0 engine doesnt have the torque reserves of the big block,and desiels,so I wouldnt do it for fuel economy

3. dkscott

dkscott Junior Member

John, Thanks for the info. What would be the tallest tires you would recommend running on this truck without giving up too much power ?

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

1 size up,to 265/75r16,you will still lose a little power,but not nearly as much as going to a 285 tire.If your plowing,going up 2 sizes would make low speed steering difficult,with the plow on,even with power steering.