1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

3rd gen front ends ==== $$$$

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by DAFFMOBILEWASH, Feb 9, 2010.

1. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

So here we are checking the front end for some slop and you find yourself replacing EVERTHING !!!! :realmad:

Truck needs outer tierods both sides and upper and lowers..... So here is my thoughts!!!! I should replace the universals to for the fact you are almost there. Plus the factory non greasable stuff will be soon to be replaced again for they failed once before at 50km!!!

So Splicer universals and XRF for all the steering components. XRF offers a 1 000 000 km guarentee on the parts!!! Sure I might have to spring on the labour, but its a plow truck right!!! wesport

As I see it make the front and as bullet proof as possible for this seems to be the weakest link of the whole truck. Other than the seats 06........:mad:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  2. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

have you looked at the 09 steering upgrade from dodge?

3. 600rrpilot

600rrpilot Senior Member

Def upgrade the steering. Check out the discussion on www.dieseltruckresource.com. I just picked up my parts yesterday. I have been replacing all my u joints with spicers, replacing the steering to the 09 steering, and throwing xrf balljoints on it.

4. DAFFMOBILEWASH

Thanks for the heads up everyone!!! Will look into the Sterling.

5. DAFFMOBILEWASH

600RR-- Do you have the XRF ball joints in yet?? Have done some reading on the Moog stuff and don't like the pin ball stories every one seems to be having with the ball joints and drivability.

6. sno commander

from ct

my dad put moogs in his truck,and it wandered horribly. they replaced a laundry list of other front end parts and still horrible. swaped out the mmogs and tracks straight now. stick with xrf's there pretty reasonable too. only thing is you cant grease the upper joint only the loweres.

7. stillen

stillen Senior Member

i had almost $5k in front end replacement parts and labor done to my 05 2500 when i got it 1.5 years ago, and it only had 31k on the odometer.... Luckily I purchased one on those chrysler warranties that covers everything until 81k or five years from my purchase date..........after all said and done, my truck still wanders on the highway..... Chrysler rep said this truck was "crown sensitive"........

8. big schmitty

big schmitty Member

Has anyone wore out the track bar? Mine truck was popping when turning and found it to be the track bar was wore out. I looked into buying a new one but they were 400.00 and found that the ends could be replaced on the original one, so i did that, it was 22.00 and an hours work but it only lasted 2 months before it started popping again. Guess I'll have to buy a one from Dodge because no one makes a factory replacement yet, that I've found.

9. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

10. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

id also consider the steering stablilizer by dss

11. big schmitty

big schmitty Member

12. Laszlo Almasi

Laszlo Almasi Senior Member

13. big schmitty

big schmitty Member

^^^ Thanks

14. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

The 07 in my signature has been in the shop now 3x under warranty for front end work. Power steering went out on it and entire steering column had to be replaced and then there were some problems with tie-rods and some other front end work if I remember correctly......al with under 31k miles

15. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

glad to hear they did an upgrade, I replaced the steering box twice on my 2500 and once on my 1500.

16. DodgeRam1996

DodgeRam1996 Senior Member

I'm looking to pick up a 2004-2006 Ram 2500s, what all this talk about steering and suspension problems?

17. sno commander

from ct

its not a big deal really. the main problems are ball joints and u-joints. the oem ball joints are crap. theres a ton of aftermarket support to fix the problem. xrf makes a good set of ball joints for about 200 bucks. the next problem is u-joints. they run out of grease and get trashed. you can choose between a gresbale u-joint and fully sealed unit. spicer makes a great set. you can also get greasable precisions. they will last long if you properly grease them. you DONT want to grease u-joints untill the grease starts pushing out. give them 1 pump everytime you change your oil and youll be good. you will trash the seals if you grease them too much. so for about 350 bucks 95% of your problems will be solved.

18. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

You know youre gonna be in trouble when the manufacturers do not offer greasable U joints and steering components. Its their way of cutting costs.

19. DAFFMOBILEWASH

I was talking with a tranny guru and he was talking about drilling out the factory joints and putting a zurk fitting in them. He has a friend he did this for who pushes snow and no problems to date.

20. sno commander

from ct

i thought about that too. did he drill them while they were still in the truck?