1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

3rd Door stuck

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mayhem, Dec 13, 2010.

1. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

2000 Siverado 2500 ecsb, the rare three door variant. Few days ago I shut the back door on my truck and heard something rattle around. I was in a hurry so I didn't stop and investigate. Yesterday i went to try and open the abckl door and its stuck shut...neither handle will release the door from the frame...it feels like its not pulling all the way so the mechanism won't let go.

The door has always been a little finicky about shutting all the way and sometimes in order to get both latches to grab properly you have to give it a good slam...I'm guess this was just one slam too many.

Is it possible to get the door panel off with the door shut if I climb into the back? Its the only way I can think of to get at the problem and try to get the door open so i can repair it.

2. RRobbe

RRobbe Member

Its the handle assembly. They are made of junk pot metal and they seem to all break. Its a pain but you will have to get it torn apart to fix it. Good luck.

3. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

Loosen the handle off the door frame and look inside the door for the release rods.
    The plastic clips prob. broke and the rods came unhooked from the handle.
    Or the release "tang" on the handle broke off and its not tripping the release tab
    and pulling the release rods.
    (Depending on year or model)

4. mayhem

from Peru MA

Specifically you mean the "outer" door handle thats in the C pillar behind the rear of the front door, right?

5. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

Usually the problem..

6. sonjaab

Yes..........Thats the only handle I know of. Thats where my 97s was...............

IIRC the handle should be rivited in place too.

7. mayhem

from Peru MA

Mine has one inside the truck too, just making sure I followed you.

8. sonjaab

You have a GMT 800 or 400 ? I guess since its a 2000 and you said 3rd door only I assumed gmt-400.
    You could still just pull the handle in the door jamb and eyeball and see if the release rods are disconnected
    or just pull on them and the release tab and open the door. Then remove inner panel and check further.
    Heres a diagram of the door:
    http://www.compnine.com/index.php?u...delid=7068&capuid=1&majorgroup=16&grouptype=B

061206TC16-831.jpg

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  9. mayhem

from Peru MA

Thanks, thats very helpful.

Its an NBS truck, so I assume GMT 800...whichever is the new body style in 2000.

10. mayhem

from Peru MA

Finally got into it today. Turns out the center pivot and handle assembly seems fine...problem is the upper latch rod seems to have come unhooked from the latch at the top of the door.

So, any way for me to get the upper latch to pop open? I don't know if I can even get at it with the door panel off, but at least if I can open it I can see whats broken off and get the correct replacement parts.

11. mayhem

from Peru MA

Got the door panel off, not without some effort. The rod seems fine, but where it anchors to the latch there is a red plastic grommet that presumably holds it in place...the plastic broke. So now I need to find out if I need a new rod, upper latch or if its a replaceable part...or if I can be creative and find a better permanent solution.

12. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

usually the plastic breaks. shouldnt need a rod. can you get a pic of the plastic part as i may be able to get one for nothing. I have dont a few vans but not sure if the silverado's are the same

13. mayhem

from Peru MA

Thanks, I'll see what i can do. It split right in two and I think whats left fell down inside the door. I'll see if I can fish it out.

I hooked a coat hanger onto the latch for the time being so at least I can open the door now.