1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

3rd brake light strobes?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Pinzgauer, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Pinzgauer

Pinzgauer Senior Member
    from Vermont

Hi -
    has anyone here tried to replace the white cargo lamps with hideaway strobes?
    Bad idea or might it work?

Thanks .........

2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

The strobes will get to hot. It can be done, but with the whelen vertex leds.

3. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

It can be done but you'll need the LED Hid aways,The strobes will get hot. If you look around on You Tube Videos and search for LEDS there are some videos of people who have done just that of LED'S in the 3rd Brake Light Areas

4. Fourbycb

Fourbycb Senior Member

5. skidooer

skidooer Senior Member

I have tube strobe hideaways in my cargo light slots for 3 years now and have had no issues what so ever maybe just lucky, i did use the LEDs on the sides of my toolbox and they work great. just my 2 cents

6. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

It also depends to on how long you let then run for. If its just for say 10 mins while you are out by the road and then you shut them off while in the lot then its different. I personally would get the whelen leds.

7. Pinzgauer

Pinzgauer Senior Member
    from Vermont

I already have a LED flasher. I can't find any LED strobes without the controllers built in the cable. Does anyone now where I can get any?
    Thanks

8. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

With the whelen vertex leds hide-a-ways the flasher is built in. No need for a external flasher.

9. Pinzgauer

Pinzgauer Senior Member
    from Vermont

Thanks. But I already have one. I'm looking for some without

10. skidooer

skidooer Senior Member

well i run mine for 4-5 hrs at a time with no issues and i dont think u can get a led strobe without the built in flasher but sure u could remove it and relocate or use your own flasher.

11. Pinzgauer

Pinzgauer Senior Member
    from Vermont

Thanks great idea.

12. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

Done it a million times...i even retain the cargo lights....

No issues yet....strobes OR leds....

13. grec-o-face

grec-o-face Senior Member

A Million???
    If I've told you once, I've told you a trillion times - don't exaggerate!!! :laughing:
    haha!!

I like mine. A ton of work to get right, but worth it to me.
    vids at the bottom... http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?p=1048150#post1048150

14. 04chevy2500

04chevy2500 Senior Member

Dissociative,

i out mine in the third brake light how did you manage to retain the cargo lamps? where did you mount the tubes?

15. adorler

adorler Junior Member

I pulled out the brake light from outside the cab and drilled holes next to the current cargo lights. This works great for me and looks great. All you need is a one inch hole for hideaway strobes. BE careful drilling, dont go too fast and bust through the plastic or reflector glass inside..

16. 04chevy2500

i ran all clear strobes so i didnt want it in the brake light only the cargo lamps. thats why i had to remove mine. i dont see how you could have both cargo lamps and clears.

17. adorler

adorler Junior Member

I have a 09 chevy z71 2500 Silverado. I unscrewed the third brake light out , then carefully drilled a one inch hole next to the exsiting clear cargo lights and installed one clear strobe in each side, so when it flashes, it flashes through the clear cargo light lense. It is pretty easy to do..plus I can still have the cargo lights on when I need them...

18. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

its very easy..you mount the strobes where the cargo lamps usually go and relocate the cargo lamps to the sides of the housing in the same lens.....done it a TRILLION times...100% success rate so far...:mechanic:

19. 04chevy2500

ok that makes more sense. didnt think of relocating the cargos. thanks dissociative. i have lights on my back rack so it isnt that important to me to have the cargos but it would be handy. guess iv got a project for the next rain day.

20. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

Do you have any pics with it pulled apart?
    I just ordered more tubes and wanna replace the weak leds with strobes, any help would be great.