1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

3k for plow insurance rider????

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by dodge15004x45.9, Nov 5, 2010.

1. dodge15004x45.9

dodge15004x45.9 Senior Member
    from malvern

I had my dad call travelers today to get me a quote on insurance costs they said 3k to cover the other party. Its just a rider on my auto policy. My dad told them I'm going to be doing res accounts. Either was I'm comitted now with a plow being on the truck. Plow the is on a 2001 1500 dodge I have no tickets or accidents. Been pulled over a 2 times but let go.

Seem high to anyone?

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

shop around
    alot will depend on your age

3. dodge15004x45.9

from malvern

19 don't help alot. :(

Might just open up a snow only business to get better rates if need be.

4. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

mine is about 1k for the year for my 1 million dollar general liabality blanket

then after that, it is about 1k for every truck with full coverage for the year

5. Philbilly2

I tired that and my broker told me that no company will cover a striclty "snow only" business. They want somthing else for the rest of the year.

6. dodge15004x45.9

from malvern

I'm not real big it to mowing I only cut 2 houses every other week so its useless to open up a plow co than.

Just gotta hunt for that better rider is all. Anyone know if I can have 2 insurance company one for the truck other for the rider?

7. Philbilly2

one more thought. from when I subed a few years ago.

I know when I had travelers, they wouldn't even endorse a plow on the truck.

My broker switched my truck to progressive and it cost me $164.00 a month to have insurance that allowed me to plow

Sorry for all the posts, just what pops into my head.

8. dodge15004x45.9

from malvern

Thats fine and I am subbing out there are a few on my road that I'll be doing by my self but over 80% is subbed... Like I said its all res that I'm doing he don't want to mess with it so I will.

9. chitown

chitown Junior Member

i just started this year on my own and it was $311 for 6 months with a 20k liability per person its seasonal insurance within 50 miles from my house

10. Philbilly2

20K per what person?

Your employees?
    A random person who has a slip and fall on a property that you service?
    The light pole that you knock over?
    The car that you back into?
    The person that you back over?

I don't understand how $20K will do anything. I am not trying to be a d*ck, I just know that you would not believe how quick the bills add up. $20K is a drop in the bucket. You can rack up $250,000 in the blink of an eye.

One more:
    How can you get any accounts without a 1 million dollar general liability policy? Seems like everyone wants at least a 1 mill if not 2 mill.

11. dodge15004x45.9

from malvern

Thats another good thing to bring up how much coverage should I get?

200 posts!!!!

12. Philbilly2

I can tell you that most places that you will work will require a minimum of a 1 million dollar blanket. More and more it is becoming common to see a 2 million dollar blanket being required.

13. dodge15004x45.9

from malvern

Well thats another point thing... I'm a sub for my friends landscape co... I just don't want to get caught with my pants down and something happen.

14. lawnlandscape

lawnlandscape Senior Member

Since your 19 and your plowing residential properties it does not seem high at all to me.

15. MidcoastMainiac

MidcoastMainiac Member

Check to see what your rates would be if you incorporated your business. Business Ins might cover you with the numbers you need at a lower rate. Insurance companies may treat another company differently instead of a 19 year old individual.

16. viper881

viper881 Senior Member

"Snow Plow" only insuance is around 3000. Not to many insurance companies want to cover just snow plowing no matter the age.

17. dodge15004x45.9

from malvern

Well I'm going with another company lets just says that... after what they told my dad on the phone today. tomorrow gotta call nation wide and erie insurance.

The feeling of getting jerked off with sand paper came to mind with the numbers they said.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  18. Philbilly2

Welcome to the life of being young and outgoing. You are out trying to be a good impact on the economy and your own life insted of playing computer games and watching TV all day and sucking every dollar from your parents.

Many of us on here have go through the same thing and it blows! It is just the way it goes. If you are only 19 and doing what you are doing now, it will only get better from here. :nod:

19. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

Google "General liability insurance" and start making calls with the information these guys have given you. Write everything down so you know what to ask, and exactly what the quoted coverages and associated costs are.
    Don't bite on the first company you talk to.

20. dodge15004x45.9

from malvern

Of course I'm not gonna bite on the first company if I had I would have had a 6k pole shoved up my ass.