1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

3cu/ft spreader on a 1ton?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Herbie, Nov 18, 2003.

1. Herbie

Herbie Junior Member

Looking to put a 3cu/ft spreader on a flatbed 1ton. I'm new to snow biz and can't afford much else (broadcast spreader doesn't appeal to me). Will they hook up like that?'

2. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Are you sure you don't mean 3 cubic YARD spreader? A 3 cubic foot spreader will work on a Yugo if you wanted it to. The weight of 3 cubes of salt is about 200 pounds plus the weight of the spreader. I use the Western tailgate spreader. It holds about 800 pounds of salt. I am currently building a swing away mount to attach to my reciever hitch.

If you mean a 3 YARD spreader, that unit alone will weigh in over 1000 pounds. Plus, the weight of the salt at approximately 2000 pounds per yard. That would be over 7,000 pounds of payload. You could use the spreader and not fill it up all the way. Maybe put a yard or two in it.

3. Herbie

Herbie Junior Member

No the literature for this unit states 3cu/ft or about 600# of material. Not having seen or used one I want to know if it will hook up to the receiver on my flatbed 1ton?
    Specifically it's one of the Lesco units.

4. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

You will probably have to purchase the hardware separately or fab up something to install it into your reciever. To answer your question, yes it will work. It may be hard to see from the drivers seat of your truck so be careful when you are backing up.:eek: