1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

383 vs 350

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jb1390, Jun 19, 2011.

1. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

I am replacing the motor in my truck-it lost a rod bearing or some other catastrophic failure that was very loud internally. Not sure exactly what yet, but it needs a new motor. I am trying to decide between a gm 350 (directly from gm) for $2100 or so, or a blueprint engines 383, for $3300. I'd prefer to get a crate, because it will be significantly faster than doing a rebuild, and I want the truck back. I don't want to get a rebuilt motor, which I could do for less money, but who knows where that engine was beforehand, and how it failed. I'd rather have the peace of mind with a stroker, which will have the core parts replaced, or a brand new motor from gm.

So-blueprint engines 383 or gm 350?

Anyone every deal with blueprint engines or their 383? Will the stock computer work with it?
  2. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

well, I bought the 350. Figured I'd save the money for a newer truck down the road.
  3. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

I would have gone with the 350. good choice
  4. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

That was the right move.
  5. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

I have to agree with the others.
  6. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

Absolutely. 383 isnt an engine for a work truck. Im sure someone will tell me they've been running one for 12 years in theirs lol, but really the 350 is better for the application.
  7. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Aren't the GM 350 crates a reman engine also?
  8. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

You can get a new crate or a reman. I've had good luck with the Goodwrench new crate motors.
  9. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic